Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't understand why? >

I don't understand why?

I don't understand why?

Old 06-09-2015, 07:37 AM

Question I don't understand why?

I just saw a scrappy quilt made with 9 patches and the directions said to cut a bazillion little 2" squares and sew them together. Why wouldn't you just cut strips and then put them together and cut the correct size squares? I just don't think I want to piece little 2" pieces together. Are there some that really like doing that? just curious what you all think. hoping all are having a great Tuesday!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:42 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Maybe they don't want repeats. Strip piecing is much easier but individual squares would have much more variety. I would strip piece it. But I also won't cut 1 7/8" squares diaginally and sew them together for HST,
Old 06-09-2015, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

If the color combinations are repeated, I would strip piece the units.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:59 AM

Maybe since it's scrappy, the assumption is that you're working with a lot of small and irregular sized pieces?
Old 06-09-2015, 08:06 AM

I've done it with smaller squares than that and was very pleased with both the process and the result. All my fabrics were different and I wanted specific color/value placement with no repeats. Strip piecing was not an option. Isn't it wonderful that we all have different ways of looking at things?

If you don't want to make that pattern the way it says, don't. Simple as that.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Maybe since it's scrappy, the assumption is that you're working with a lot of small and irregular sized pieces?
I certainly never thought of that. I don't save smaller scraps....not enough room. I just think I'm better with the strip piecing. Thanks for all who responded. As they say, to each his own! have a wonderful day all!
Old 06-09-2015, 08:15 AM

I actually love chain piecing smaller squares together. I love the variety of the fabrics I get over strip piecing but mostly I just love the process of whipping through my scraps! It all depends on the look you are going for and if you're going to enjoy the process.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:22 AM

I think some folks cut and store their scraps in certain sizes and shapes, so if you happen to be one that has a super organized scrap storage and bunch of 2" scrap squares already done it could help. Or, it could be a leader/ender project, or as the others say, for variety. I also am working on a free pattern on the moda bake shop that uses their precut charm squares and it says to cut each charm square into 4, 2.5" squares to sew together as 4 patches. I too thought stip piecing would be much easier. To each their own I guess!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:11 AM

You can use strip sets & still get a pretty random scrappy look. Cut your sets of 3, toss em all in a grocery sack & pull out & sew together randomly, as opposed to a planned xox+oxo+xox nine patch.

Some people go for a true "charm" quilt, which I take to mean no two fabrics repeat, so they are able to say "there are 4,320 different fabrics in this quilt" (90x108 queen sewed with 2" cut squares)
Old 06-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Carefully understand the complete instructions before you do things differently. I have enough experience that I ended up making many quilts my own way. If strip piecing is easier, then cut a strip and cut it into smaller pieces such as 10" then sew other strips together.