Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I found out something I didn't know! >

I found out something I didn't know!

I found out something I didn't know!

Old 09-03-2012, 04:18 AM

You are all correct. JoAnn's puts out 3 different types of coupons. There is one that says % off of any regular priced item and you cannot use it on fabric. Then they have one that says % off of one regular priced fabric, which cannot be used on battting or on interfacing. Then they have one that says % off of any regular priced by the yard product that can be used on batting, interfacing, ribbon, velcro, or elastic.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:25 AM

Hey Pat G.--the reason you're charged for shipping on Home Dec fabric is that it comes from the different vendors and not from the local warehouse.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:31 AM

I would not label it as a fabric. I think its more like a notion. Is it sold by the yard? I haven't made clothing in 30 yrs. I only use my coupons for batting. Theres always a good deal on fabrics some where or other.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the info... good to know...
Old 09-03-2012, 09:52 AM

Yesterday I stopped by JoAnn's to pick up a notion and, of course, went to the fabric area to look for something that would strike me as special. I found some "ocean" fabric that would be perfect for a project I have in mind.... but it was marked down 20%, so no 40% coupon could be used. I kept looking and couldn't find ANY cotton fabric that wasn't discounted 20%. Some of these prices were over $12.00. I asked a clerk and she said, this bridal area is not discounted... well, that wasn't what I was interested in so I asked her outright, "Is there any quilting cotton NOT discounted?" and she said there was not. When I checked out, with my less than $5 purchase, I told the clerk that if there is a way for her to pass on customer satisfaction, please tell the powers that be that their "sale/coupon" policy is frustrating and I now only use JoAnn's as a last resort (which was very true for the small items I did buy).

Our local quilt store closed so I have to go about 30 miles to get to other LQS, and JoAnn's is only 20 miles away and near a Costco, so we go that direction more often for notion type things. I hope they get the message. They are really jerking us around.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:54 AM

I used a 50% coupon on Saturday to buy Insul-Bright, five yards of it. I asked first and was told yes, it's considered a fabric for coupon purposes.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 PM

I tried to use the 60% off coupon to buy a roll of batting and was told that batting is not considered fabric. Darn! But batting is 40% off this week and I went over the weekend to buy $35 and get a 30% off the entire purchase card. I am going today to buy the roll of batting in the store at 70% off.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:07 PM

Thank you for sharing, I will have to ask at my JoAnn
Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
I can save $100-$200 by using coupons and buying the large rolls. have even arrived after all was sold and they let me order it using coupon. I buy full rolls only, does that make a diffrence? Thankfully I have room to store it.
Our JoAnn's pretty much eliminated using coupons on everything. They usually have almost anything you would want to buy on sale for 10% off. Most things other than fabric are excluded (small print on the coupon). However, Hobby Lobby and Hancock Fabrics will honor JoAnn"s coupons, so I usually just go there.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:49 PM

I always wait until the Interfacing and Batting go on sale for 50% off. Then I get to use my teacher 15% discount on top of that! Just bought 3 packages of the fusible interfacing last week when it was 50% off. It's normally $3.25/yard. With the 50% off sale, it was down to $1.63/yard. My teacher discount brought it down to $1.38/yard. I can't use my teacher discount along with a 50% coupon, but if the item is already on sale for 50% off, I can knock off an additional 15%! Since I make a lot of t-shirt quilts, that's a HUGE savings in my pocket.