Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: i have another question on rag quilts

what is the correct size of square that everyone uses thanks dorothy from tenn i love this site everyone is so sweet and helpful thanks

lin
    The size of the squares for a rag quilt are really up to the one making the quilt. I've seen them as small as 4" sometimes mixed with larger ones, and mine have all finished at 7" after being seamed with a 1" seam. The only size I've made are 7" with 7 across and 9 down. I think a few of the ones shown on this site have been 6" finished blocks, and some of the women have used a " seam instead of a 1". I think it's really up to the individual middy. No wrong or right. Just what's right for you.

We're glad to have you here middy. :)

I couldn't have said it better myself. In my first rag quilt, I used 6 1/2" blocks with a 1" seam, leaving 5 1/2" finished blocks. The most recent rag quilt I made, I used 8" blocks with a 1" seam and it was 6 rows by 7 rows. I used flannel in both of mine. I used larger blocks so it wouldn't take quite as long and so you could actually see the print in them a little better. Good luck on your quilt! :D

The size of the squares for a rag quilt are really up to the one making the quilt. I've seen them as small as 4" sometimes mixed with larger ones, and mine have all finished at 7" after being seamed with a 1" seam. The only size I've made are 7" with 7 across and 9 down. I think a few of the ones shown on this site have been 6" finished blocks, and some of the women have used a " seam instead of a 1". I think it's really up to the individual middy. No wrong or right. Just what's right for you.

We're glad to have you here middy.
    I agree with Lin
    I have made several and I use a 7 inch block and 1/2 inch seam. But it is up to you.

I agree with everyone else... it is personal preference and also depends on what size seam allowance you use. I cut mine as 9" blocks and used a 1" seam allowance, so they finished out at 7". I really like the look of it, so that is probably what I will do for future rag quilts too. Barb C