Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
another question...about rag quilts >

another question...about rag quilts

another question...about rag quilts

Old 10-11-2014, 05:37 AM

Default another question...about rag quilts

When you make rag quilts, do you use batting? I have a lap quilt I made and used batting and it is fine. Drapes well...does not feel heavy at all. But I made one for my nephew and it is so heavy. A sister-in-law makes them and does not put any batting in them...she just makes them as a small lap quilt. And I think they would be perfect...she uses flannel on back and front. I know they are snugly and warm.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:43 AM

I think this is a personal preference thing. Also depends on the area you live. I put batting in mine. Like that extra warmth and weight. Some use an extra layer of flannel. Leaving it without anything would work fine too if it gives you the feel you want.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I used heavy weight denim and heavy (chamois) flannel in the ones I made with no "filling". They were very heavy, but the recipients seem to like them.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

It depends, I've made them both ways, I like them with regular cotton or flannel top, flannel back & lightweight Hobbs 80/20 batting. Warm & natural is too dense/heavy.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I like using flannel as batting for rag quilts. I cut the flannel the same size as the blocks so the flannel will be ragged too. I can find some really odd color flannel on clearance. The odd colors are perfect for ragging.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
It depends, I've made them both ways, I like them with regular cotton or flannel top, flannel back & lightweight Hobbs 80/20 batting. Warm & natural is too dense/heavy.
The one that I made that felt heavy and sort of stiff was Warm and Natural...I have other bits and pieces of hobbs and some other lighter weight...will stick with them if I use batting. Which I probably will cause in ways that was the point of a rag quilt. LOL
Old 10-11-2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I like using flannel as batting for rag quilts. I cut the flannel the same size as the blocks so the flannel will be ragged too. I can find some really odd color flannel on clearance. The odd colors are perfect for ragging.
I have used this method and it works great!
Old 10-11-2014, 10:28 AM

I just finished 2 of them. I didn't put anything between the 2 layers of flannel. Both are very heavy!
Old 10-11-2014, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I used heavy weight denim and heavy (chamois) flannel in the ones I made with no "filling". They were very heavy, but the recipients seem to like them.
Can you tell me where you buy your flannel? I would like to use the heavier flannel for my daughters quilt.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:29 AM

The difference in your two could be a different type of batting, they have different weights. I use batting, some don't and some use an extra layer of flannel.