Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   another question...about rag quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-question-about-rag-quilts-t255099.html)

Rose S. 10-11-2014 05:37 AM

another question...about rag quilts

When you make rag quilts, do you use batting? I have a lap quilt I made and used batting and it is fine. Drapes well...does not feel heavy at all. But I made one for my nephew and it is so heavy. A sister-in-law makes them and does not put any batting in them...she just makes them as a small lap quilt. And I think they would be perfect...she uses flannel on back and front. I know they are snugly and warm.

cjsews 10-11-2014 05:43 AM

I think this is a personal preference thing. Also depends on the area you live. I put batting in mine. Like that extra warmth and weight. Some use an extra layer of flannel. Leaving it without anything would work fine too if it gives you the feel you want.

bearisgray 10-11-2014 06:08 AM

I used heavy weight denim and heavy (chamois) flannel in the ones I made with no "filling". They were very heavy, but the recipients seem to like them.

ckcowl 10-11-2014 07:01 AM

It depends, I've made them both ways, I like them with regular cotton or flannel top, flannel back & lightweight Hobbs 80/20 batting. Warm & natural is too dense/heavy.

Onebyone 10-11-2014 07:10 AM

I like using flannel as batting for rag quilts. I cut the flannel the same size as the blocks so the flannel will be ragged too. I can find some really odd color flannel on clearance. The odd colors are perfect for ragging.

Rose S. 10-11-2014 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6924100)
It depends, I've made them both ways, I like them with regular cotton or flannel top, flannel back & lightweight Hobbs 80/20 batting. Warm & natural is too dense/heavy.

The one that I made that felt heavy and sort of stiff was Warm and Natural...I have other bits and pieces of hobbs and some other lighter weight...will stick with them if I use batting. Which I probably will cause in ways that was the point of a rag quilt. LOL

DonnaPBradshaw 10-11-2014 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6924120)
I like using flannel as batting for rag quilts. I cut the flannel the same size as the blocks so the flannel will be ragged too. I can find some really odd color flannel on clearance. The odd colors are perfect for ragging.

I have used this method and it works great!

gingerd 10-11-2014 10:28 AM

I just finished 2 of them. I didn't put anything between the 2 layers of flannel. Both are very heavy!

carmanmarie 10-11-2014 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6924006)
I used heavy weight denim and heavy (chamois) flannel in the ones I made with no "filling". They were very heavy, but the recipients seem to like them.

Can you tell me where you buy your flannel? I would like to use the heavier flannel for my daughters quilt.

romanojg 10-12-2014 09:29 AM

The difference in your two could be a different type of batting, they have different weights. I use batting, some don't and some use an extra layer of flannel.