Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ? >

I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

Old 04-16-2013, 04:42 AM

Even hand quilters often use SITD. How is that a "cop-out"?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

It's yours to do with what you want. I have a "Love's Quilts" , "Does not Love Quilts" list. "LQ" list is much longer than the "DQ" list. What about the quilts that are tied? They're just as quilted as the others. I know many who absolutely love tied.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:52 AM

I think the machine quilts are "nice" but I have to say... If I start the quilt I finish the quilt.... too much is make of this new? machine quilting. Nice to have one but I still love my OWN NEEDLE......
Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 AM

I have a longarm and I can say that quilting an all over design is much easier than doing stitch in the ditch. It's hard and even harder to do on a longarm. I do like the way SID looks, I just don't do it(I'm lazy that way). Don't let peoples comments bother you. We all do what we can and that's what makes the quilt.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:00 AM

Didn't read all the comments, but SITD is not a cop out, neither is having someone longarm your quilt. I personally don't enjoy SITD because it is hard to stay there. Sometimes I use a fancy stitch instead of a straight one. Gives it a different look. Someone on here posted a video about quilting your own quilts. It was very good and she had a lot of good advice. Maybe someone could post a link again so you could watch it.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:07 AM

SITD a cop out? Boy, your quilt police better not look at my quilts! I SITD, I tie, I use stretch and seal to guide me, and I think over the top quilting just makes a showpiece. Who wants to snuggle in a quilt with a ton of scratchy stitching? SITD is not for the faint of heart-it's hard to stay in that ditch!
Grrrrrrrr! Stupid quilt police! You stop feeling bad right now!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:08 AM

Be proud of what you do.... Anyone who makes remarks like that are idiots in my opinion. There is no hard and fast rule as far as I and probably most quilters are concerned. It's your quilt and you can quilt it any way you want. I like to look at a quilt I've made and know that I did it all from start to finish whether I stitched in the ditch or free motion on the machine or hand quilted it. I never send mine out cause when I say I made it...... I know that I did every stitch. My quilting neighbor sends her out to a long arm quilter and that's fine for her and I respect that. It's your quilt... so do it your way and KEEP ON QUILTIN'.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:11 AM

IMHO sending out a quilt out to a LAQ is the cop-out! I do my own quilting for 2 reasons i) I can not afford to send out to LAQ. 2) I like to see more fabric/pattern then quilting and sometimes you can not control the amt of quilting you get from LAQ. As far as SID I use it alot to abchor the sandwich and also it mimimizes the quilting and lets the fabric/pattern shine. Also some quilts due to detail of pattern only need SID. Sounds like you were told this by a LAQ???????
Old 04-16-2013, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by laurlync View Post
Well, whoever said this to you has obviously never tried keeping it in the ditch. As long as you are happy with what you are doing, just ignore the negative comments. Everyone should quilt the way they want, like and can afford, whether it is SID, FMQ or quilt by check. Just enjoy your craft and the wonderful smiles of those who get to use your quilts.
Absolutely. It's not as easy as some might think! And I do send my quilts out to a LAQ when I want something other than SID. My machine, while a great workhouse for general sewing, isn't set up to quilt. period. Hopefully my next one will be...
Old 04-16-2013, 05:13 AM

I can't help but agree with all that has been said about SID being alright. I did SID on a Yellow Brick Road quilt I made for my blind mother. She could 'feel' the 'quilting lines' that reminded her of 'patchwork'. If it were stitched in any other way, I don't think she would have enjoyed it as much because she commented many times about the 'patchwork' to her nursing home help and visitors. Stick to what you like doing, chairjogger, and thanks for sharing. You should feel much better now knowing you aren't copping out. It's hard to stay in those ditches.