Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I have a questions about the comic boards that I keep reading about

Belleville, MI

I have a questions about the comic boards that I keep reading about

The question I have is....Can anyone tell me what the weight of the board is approximately? Or what is similar to the boards? The reason I am asking is I have been unpacking at my new house and as I was
    shredding the many unneeded years of tax boxes I ended up with a large pile of file folders. Before my husband passed away last year he kept tax files going back to 1994. There has to be something I can do with these instead of throwing them away. I was thinking of cutting the tab off and using these as base boards to wrap fabric around. Would these be similar to the comic boards?? I did try it and although they are a little bit flimsy they do work. Also because the size is 9x12 I only have to fold my fabric in half lengthwise and pin the ends when done. If the fabric is less than a yard I turned the fabric before wrapping. Also file folders are easier to find and not that expensive. But I am curious if the weight is similar to the boards.

NE Iowa
    Are you taliking about the manilla file folders or the hanging file folders? In any case, the comic book boards I have are about 3 times the weight of the manilla file folders.

New Hampshire
    Comic book boards are acid free, the files are not. I wouldn't use them. I would make templates out of your file folders.

Marathon, Texas
    I agree with Handcraftsbyjen about a different use for your file folders. The comic boards I get from Amazon are pretty cost effective. Their weight is a little heaver than school-type poster board but not as heavy as the mat board used by picture framers.