Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: My Comic Book Boards Have Arrived!!!

  1. #1
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    12,512
    Yay-- the big pack of 100 comic book boards I bought on Ebay are here! Now I can start to fold all my fabrics and roll my little yards and half yards into mini-bolts so I can see everything better for choosing fabrics for quilts. I thought the boards might be too wimpy and lightweight, but they actually are pretty sturdy and work fine! And the price? 100 boards for under $10, incl. shipping! Less than $.10 apiece...

    I've found that if I put the selveges together, then fold that in half again, it is the perfect width to wind around these boards.

    See how nice it's working out, so far?

    Stack of Mini-Bolts
    Name:  Attachment-119649.jpe
Views: 104
Size:  78.9 KB

  2. #2
    Super Member Mazda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    1,025
    Looks great!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Busy Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    303
    Blog Entries
    2
    Looking Great!!!

  4. #4
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    Great!

  5. #5
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    What a great idea. I need to look into this.

  6. #6
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    Looking great!

  7. #7
    Senior Member quiltlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sleepless South of Seattle
    Posts
    387
    What size are the boards? 8 1/2 x10 1/2 ?
    googling comic book boards you can actually find some pretty good buys from suppliers - not as good as ebay but not bad.

    This site also has larger boards 10 7/8" x 14 7/8" Life magazine size.

    http://www.comicsupply.com/product_i...ducts_id=40877

  8. #8
    Senior Member marknfran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Mead, WA
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Yay-- the big pack of 100 comic book boards I bought on Ebay are here! Now I can start to fold all my fabrics and roll my little yards and half yards into mini-bolts so I can see everything better for choosing fabrics for quilts. I thought the boards might be too wimpy and lightweight, but they actually are pretty sturdy and work fine! And the price? 100 boards for under $10, incl. shipping! Less than $.10 apiece...

    I've found that if I put the selveges together, then fold that in half again, it is the perfect width to wind around these boards.

    See how nice it's working out, so far?
    Never thought about that. I have a lot of them from the past. Guess I will have to dig them out. Thank you.

  9. #9
    Super Member Pickles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,448
    very nice and love all the colors of Fabric you have there :-D :thumbup:

  10. #10
    Super Member cherylynne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,747
    Nice neat pile. I am not familiar with comic book boards, but your fabrics do look nice.

  11. #11
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,156
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady
    What size are the boards? 8 1/2 x10 1/2 ?
    googling comic book boards you can actually find some pretty good buys from suppliers - not as good as ebay but not bad.

    This site also has larger boards 10 7/8" x 14 7/8" Life magazine size.

    http://www.comicsupply.com/product_i...ducts_id=40877
    Ouch! The shipping is more than the cost of the boards!

  12. #12
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    12,512
    These are 7.5" X 10.5"... These are the stabilizer boards that comic book sellers use in their packaging. There are plastic bags the same size, and they put each comic book in one of the bags, with one of these boards behind it, for stability. A pack of 100 of these weighs several pounds, so it's not going to be cheap to ship. But this is a much cheaper alternative to the boards that are being sold to wrap fabric on. They cost something like $1 apiece, and the comic boards I bought were $.10 apiece, including the shipping. They aren't as thick and sturdy, but they take up less space and as you can see, they work fine! But... shsssssh! Don't tell the comic book dealers we quilters are using them for fabric! They might 'up' the price!

  13. #13
    pab
    pab is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    540
    Blog Entries
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    These are 7.5" X 10.5"... These are the stabilizer boards that comic book sellers use in their packaging. There are plastic bags the same size, and they put each comic book in one of the bags, with one of these boards behind it, for stability. A pack of 100 of these weighs several pounds, so it's not going to be cheap to ship. But this is a much cheaper alternative to the boards that are being sold to wrap fabric on. They cost something like $1 apiece, and the comic boards I bought were $.10 apiece, including the shipping. They aren't as thick and sturdy, but they take up less space and as you can see, they work fine! But... shsssssh! Don't tell the comic book dealers we quilters are using them for fabric! They might 'up' the price!
    thanks for sharing,great idea pab

  14. #14
    Super Member AnnT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maryville, TN
    Posts
    1,898
    Nice! and an excellent way to organize!

  15. #15
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    12,512
    Now I just need to find some shelving to put them on!

  16. #16
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    36
    I go to a COmic book store and buy them. NO shipping and 9.90 for 150.00 boards. Now I just need to get the fabric on them. Thanks for sharing your pictures. And they are acid free becasue comic collectors are careful too.

  17. #17
    Super Member greenini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,552
    Blog Entries
    16
    I'm speechless, you guys are so clever, just called my local comic book store and he said 100 is under $7...gonna hit 'em up tomorrow for sure. Thanks!

  18. #18
    Super Member JUNEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    3,201
    How thick are the boards?

  19. #19
    Junior Member wyckedquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Middle of the Mitten
    Posts
    295
    After I saw this...I went to my local comic book shop, and sure enough, they had them...I got my for 7.99 for a pack of 100 and five minutes of travel! :)

  20. #20
    Super Member JUNEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by wyckedquilter
    After I saw this...I went to my local comic book shop, and sure enough, they had them...I got my for 7.99 for a pack of 100 and five minutes of travel! :)
    How thick are the boards - are they thicker than oak tag or card stock?

  21. #21
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
    Posts
    5,713
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    These are 7.5" X 10.5"... These are the stabilizer boards that comic book sellers use in their packaging. There are plastic bags the same size, and they put each comic book in one of the bags, with one of these boards behind it, for stability. A pack of 100 of these weighs several pounds, so it's not going to be cheap to ship. But this is a much cheaper alternative to the boards that are being sold to wrap fabric on. They cost something like $1 apiece, and the comic boards I bought were $.10 apiece, including the shipping. They aren't as thick and sturdy, but they take up less space and as you can see, they work fine! But... shsssssh! Don't tell the comic book dealers we quilters are using them for fabric! They might 'up' the price!

    My late husband used to own a comic book store and I've inherited it. I've got tons of the backer boards, I might put them to use!!

    The other bonus is that because they're for comic books they're acid free and all that other stuff to prevent ruining precious copies of old books.

    They will also come in different sizes. I dont' know the dimensions off hand - but they would be advertised as "current", "Silver age" (a little larger), "Golden Age" (larger still), and "Magazine" (the largest).

  22. #22
    NannySandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    1,059
    Thanks for the idea!!! I just called a comic book store near me and is $6.99 for 100 boards. He has 3 sizes, 6 7/8 X 9 3/4 (he guesstimated), 7 1/2 X 10 1/2 and the last size a little bigger. I'm going to head his way tomorrow.

  23. #23
    Super Member Nanamoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,173
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rats, don't think I have a comic book store near me. :( Not that I have that much fabric to put on the boards yet! LOL

  24. #24
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    Brilliant !!! I am going to have to check this out!! Thanks for the info!

  25. #25
    Super Member JUNEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms
    Rats, don't think I have a comic book store near me. :( Not that I have that much fabric to put on the boards yet! LOL
    Do a web search - you might me surprized

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.