Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a ??-quilting project.--Don-isewman >

I have a ??-quilting project.--Don-isewman

I have a ??-quilting project.--Don-isewman

Old 02-16-2015, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

I would definitely set the price before I agreed. If $400 is for the work in doing the top that is a good price in my area. (I think the area you are makes a difference) If it includes the quilting and the cost of supplies, you are cheating yourself.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:43 AM

I have done various crafts over the years and found I had best stick to my profession for a living. However, a long time back I heard that the best you can do for crafting is to calculate the cost of all material and double it to charge for the final item. Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 AM

So many variables in calculating what to charge! If it is a close friend, my labor is less than someone I have never met. Is the customer buying all the fabric? Are you making a completed quilt or just the top? Will you be doing the quilting? LongArm or on DSM? Panto or fmq? All are questions that need answered before quoting a price. Once you have the answers you can put it all in writing and get it signed by the customer. I always buy the fabric as most customers have no idea what a good fabric is. I always get the cost of all fabrics/batting/thread up front in a non-refundable deposit. If the customer does not completely pay for remainder of fees, the quilt stays with me (all in writing) and after 60 days I have the right to keep as mine. I know it sounds kind of harsh, but you have to protect yourself. Nobody but a quilter or sewist will know or understand the cost of fabric or the time involved in making a quilt. Most of them want a hand-pieced/quilted masterpiece for the price of Walmart junk.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:05 AM

All good advice. Offer to teach that person to do the quilt and then they will "get it". Maybe
Old 02-16-2015, 08:25 AM

I have enjoyed reading this post. I have smiled and I shake my head. Yes! Most non-quilters do not understand the cost of a quilt. I made a throw for my daughter. My nephew's girl friend loved that quilt. She wanted me to make one for her. She offered a quit batting that I could even use for it. She said the top was ripped up but the batting was good. I was nice, I did not laugh at her. The nephew married a much nicer and smarter woman. My daughter's throw still highlights her sofa.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:52 AM

Don, Since this is a quilt for someone that you don't know. $400.00 doesn't sound like very much to me, but you need to figure out how much fun it will be to do it, and if you want the word out there that you will do them for that small an amount. Whatever you decide, remember that it is fun and don't make quilting a "job"
Old 02-16-2015, 10:18 AM

I once agreed to make a quilt for a friend to be used as a fund raiser. This person agreed to pay for the quilting, and materials, what great as far as I was concerned. I did not charge for my labor (that was my contribution). I kept very strict track of my time and had over 200 hours on this quilt. The cost of the materials (and the LAQ) was about $450.00. It turned out to be a really pretty quilt (I almost didn't want to give it away). The fund raising proceeded and only pulled in $480. This was heartbreaking, but brought home the fact that most people have NO CLUE about the cost of materials and the time it takes to make a quilt. If I had charged for the labor also, the price would have been prohibative.

I guess the point to all of this is, don't agree to do a quilt for someone else unless you make sure that they understand how much money will be involved. DO NOT FORGET TO CHARGE FOR YOUR LABOR and DO NOT FORGET TO CHARGE FOR MATERIALS.

Good luck and keep it fun.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:18 AM

Write out, and each of you sign a contract to protect both of you. A simple contract would state who pays for what, what is included, when payment is expected, (always get the money before or when you deliver! Never agree to payments unless they are in advance). Make two photo copies, and each of you sign both. Keeps everything on a business level. Unfortunately some folks will ask you to make something, then spend their time begging for a discount ("since we are friends", "since it is so easy for you", " since you already have the fabric", etc.) Ask me how I learned this... Just remember that this is how we enjoy ourselves, not how we let others drive us crazy. Lol!
Old 02-16-2015, 10:32 AM

This is a tough spot to be in. I donate about 99% of my quilts, so I know the struggle you are facing.

One of my colleagues fell in love with a quilt I made for my mother. It was attic windows and I used the windows as pictures of my mom and my nephew. She asked if I could do the same thing for her daughter with pics of their dog.

It was about 48x48 with 9 pictures (printed onto fabric) ... Total cost of fabric / batting, etc. was about $120

She paid me $500 total - and it took me about 3 full days to make it.

I told her that was way too much, but she was adamant about what she was paying me.

You can use this is a baseline!
Old 02-16-2015, 11:18 AM

I recently did a queen size photo quilt for a customer...I provided all material, used an Irish Chain design, with pictures on fabric as the plain blocks. I put 72 pictures & did all the quilting. The total came to 700.00... a bargain for sure. I had the fabric from a store closing, and passed that discount to the customer. If I had to go buy the fabrics at full retail, the quilt would have cost closer to $1200.00...and that would have still been a bargain.

Marge