Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a ??-quilting project.--Don-isewman >

I have a ??-quilting project.--Don-isewman

I have a ??-quilting project.--Don-isewman

Old 02-14-2015, 06:50 AM

Default I have a ??-quilting project.--Don-isewman

Can anyone give me a ideal cost to do a quilt. I have a lady, I dont know. She was given my name, by someone. I dont want to track of every minute/time, I put into it. Keep track of thread used, etc,etc. It's a block of the month, pattern. Roughly the finished size will be 85 x 102. I'm now really sure I want to do this project. She said she didn't care, if, I did a block each month. Can anyone, give me a cost in your mind, of everything to do this project. In my mind, I've have a cost of $400.00. Thanks to everyone, who will give me ideal cost. Don-isewman
Old 02-14-2015, 06:56 AM

I think I read on here awhile ago several methods but the one I remember that was the easiest was to charge 19 cents per square inch.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:12 AM

Is she buying the fabric and all the supplies? A finished quilt that size costs somewhere close to $1,000 all in, I would think.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:21 AM

I just set a base price $400.00 for a queen, (I don't do embroidery) if they don't want to pay it, I'll keep it. Also, I never make a quilt that I don't love. The price you have chosen is good. JMHO
Old 02-14-2015, 08:35 AM

Is this you giving her just the top, or a finished quilt? Longarm Quilter will add to the price. I'm with that price if she picks out fabric and pays for it. That way she can't say she don't like your colors and stick you for the price of the fabrics.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Is she paying for the BOM, backing, batting and quilting on top of what you charge? If so $400 is reasonable. If you are paying for all those that cost should be added to your $400 making it charge)
Old 02-14-2015, 12:35 PM

You're seriously undercharging yourself. Read this: http://huntersdesignstudio.com/2012/...hats-it-worth/ and be sure to read Part 2.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

Hi Don. It took me 20 hours to make my Avatar quilt. It was a strip piecing and that included the miter borders. That was just the hours of piecing, not the cost of the fabric or the quilting. The quilt is about 90" x 106". Hope this helps. Sometimes it is good to be busy rather than counting the profit. I purchase thread at whole price and I passed the saving to my client.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:25 PM

First, for a hand made quilt from start to finish you are cheating yourself. Personally, I wouldn't do a quilt for a stranger, they don't get what it takes to make a quilt even when they say they understand. I don't do quilts period for other people. If a true friend sees something they like that I made, I give it to them. Isn't that what happens to most of the quilts we make anyway?

There are people who make quilts for a living and bless them because I couldn't handle dealing with customers who want something for nothing. I had a friend who was asked to make a quilt for a friend of a friend. Not knowing any better she agreed and was only going to charge the woman the cost of the materials. When she told the woman how much the materials were going to be, the woman acted like she was being ripped off and said forget you. The woman then proceeded to tell the mutual friend what an awful person my friend was who in turn chewed her out for trying to rip her friend off. My poor friend was in tears over this.

I would think twice about doing it.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:42 AM

I don't recommend doing custom quilts for strangers either. You NEVER get what it is worth and some can be very picky. If you insist on doing the quilt, please make sure the customer chooses and buys ALL fabric, thread, and backing (and pattern if needed). Then charge your $400 for piecing the top. If you are hand quilting it you need to charge by the inch for that. Or let them find a long arm quilter and deal with that separately. Usually after they figure out what is is actually going to cost they will buy one at Walmart and forget the project, which is usually a good plan. I have done several of these and will NEVER do another! I quilt only for family and friends.