Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I just got a quilt from my mom

Blog Entries
    I would hate to take apart something that had been lovingly hand made. Whoever made it put their heart into the work, because she loved everyone on it. Try to figure something else, like my-Ty. Have a party and let the quilt be the guest.

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    Have you asked them how interested they are in having a part of this quilt?

I know in my family there would be some who really wouldn't care at all about getting it, others who would want it all to stay in one piece and one who might truly treasure the section that was "theirs".

I know, not much help, but I would probably want to keep it all in one piece unless somebody really, really, really wanted the part pertaining to their family.
    I agree completely. Unfortunately, my daughters wouldn't care a thing about having it in a wall hanging. Now if they had the whole quilt, they would probably put it in one of their guest rooms and enjoy it there. The one that just had a baby might enjoy a replica of the blocks that pertained to her somehow sewn into a quilt for her daughter.

It has such a nice wide sashing that I would cut it there. You could either bind each and use as a wall hainging, don't bind but frame each piece, or make into a pillow. This would leave all that hand sewing intact. It would be a shame to lose that.

I just could not take it apart, would break my heart!!

Many years ago, my MIL and her sisters (she had 7) each made a block for a Sunbonnet Sue quilt. One of the DILs (not me, this was before I began quilting) did a center block and put the quilt together. Then, each year, at the annual family reunion, the quilt got passed from sister to sister and it spent the year at that sister's house. For many years, it was passed from sister to sister, even as the sisters began passing away. Now, only one sister remains, and I have wondered where the quilt is. I like the idea of having the quilt and the blocks photocopied. You could make an album for each family.

I am totally in the other court. The quilt is not a sacred thing. I think your idea of deconstructing it and sharing with others is the right one and it honors the spirit of the quilt.

We have one of these quilts in my family also. How about taking a nice photo and transferring it to fabric with a picture of Grandma and making a wall hanging out of that?
    quilting in beautiful Ohio

Senior Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I don't know the dynamics of your family but could you have a "traveling quilt" that would spend time with the different family members who were interested in it? You would have to set up some rules and a label on the quilt should give the history of the quilt.

if not duplicating each block for its respective family members, how about a good close up photograph framed for each one involved? Just a thought...

Some great suggestions here - I would just go with what you feel comfortable doing. It is a wonderful heirloom!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast