Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Mom got me a sewing cabinet for Christmas

It should be arriving UPS today.
    I'm excited. It will be so nice to be able to recess mount the machine. It has an extra leaf that extends out to support a quilt behind the machine and when not in use it all folds up and looks nice and neat. No more working at a folding table, trying to do my cutting, sewing and pressing all in the same small space.

It's like this one, only she got it from Sears for less.

[img]http://www.joann.com/images/06/24/6/62465_p.jpg[/img]

Anyone else got one like this? How do you like it?

Here it is all folded up. Only mine will be all white.

[img]http://www.joann.com/images/06/24/6/62466_z.jpg[/img]

Blog Entries
    Very nice.

community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    Ohh, that's really nice. Maybe someday.... :(

oo that is really nice.. lucky girl.. don't cha just love yer mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Hendrix
    oo that is really nice.. lucky girl.. don't cha just love yer mom!
    Yeah. Thing is, me and the hubby try to tell our family "let's just not DO Christmas". Meaning, let's just get together have a nice meal and celebrate that way. Cause we're tight on cash and I know my Mom is too. Yet she never listens. So while I love the nice gift, I also feel kind of bad amount how much money she spends. But you can't tell her no. I've tried. She's gonna do it.

I've been looking at those. Very nice!!!

That's really nice! Maybe I'll tell hubby that's what I want. :)

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    That's really nice! Maybe I'll tell hubby that's what I want. :)
    Check Sears. I swiped that picture from Joann's but Sears has the same thing for quite a bit cheaper and right now I think it's free shipping. Which is good since it's coming in three boxes.

We don't have Sears here either, and for them to ship here, they want way too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    We don't have Sears here either, and for them to ship here, they want way too much money.
    Darn. Guess you can only shop locally then huh? Well, good luck. Hope you find a good deal.

Yep, we have KMart and Macy's and I don't like either one.

Blog Entries
    I'm with you, Terri, I dislike KMart and Macy's

I LOVE this sewing cabinet but Santa's not coming to our house this year...Oh well, next year will be better... :D

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    I'm with you, Terri, I dislike KMart and Macy's

I LOVE this sewing cabinet but Santa's not coming to our house this year...Oh well, next year will be better... :D
    The ONLY Macy's I like is the one in NYC. I used to go during Christmas to see all the lights in the windows and such. Macy's in NYC has THE BEST Christmas decorations! I have gotten so many unique ones there that I have never found anywhere else.

Blog Entries
    I can only dream ! :mrgreen: Enjoy it ! It is something you will have forever to treasure
    Sharon

It's about a quarter of the way put together but hubby has to be getting to sleep... waking up early for work. It'll probably get finished tomorrow. It'll be nice to have things organized. I can still use my folding table for cutting and pressing and have plenty of room. :D

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Congratulations. WOW!!!!

Very nice...
    However, for my anniversary my hubby found a desk, shaped like an "L" that has plenty of room for me and my 2 machines...
    This way I can have the emb machine going and sew at the same time...
    Just a thought for those considering a cabinet...
    Kirsten

Very nice setup. I don't have room for anything more, except a longarm maybe someday. I'm still looking. Got so frustrated trying to stuff a full size quilt under my machine to stipple it. My arms ache!

Oh, how lucky are you???? I've been drooling over sewing cabinets for a while, but could never afford even the cheapest one. I keep an eye out on eBay, and they start off quite cheap, but the bidding always goes up at the last minute to near enough the store price anyway.

I hope you enjoy it, take pics when you have got it all set up!

Gotta love Moms. That is a wonderful gift. Enjoy it and you will treasure it for years to come.

Blog Entries
    Congrats on your new cabinet. That is really cool! Don't get upset at Mom...she obviously wants to do it, so let her have her fun. She probably gets more pleasure from giving you that cabinet than she would no matter what you bought for her...its not about that anyway...its about making each other happy. She will love getting to spend time with you and your family around the holidays.

Banned
    way cool

I bought the same table for my big machine. It is called Burtha. It was hard to put togather and the instructions were not good. But it was a steal at $550 and included the insert that is customized for your machine.
    Be sure and center the lift table so it dosnt hit the back of the opening.
    Above all have someone help you as it takes 2 people. It is very heavy.
    Took me 2 days to put togather with just me doing it. I did not know about the metal pieces that fit over the bottom that you put the wheels in.
    The instructions didnt mention them so I put the wheels on without them and they split the partical board when I moved so no more wheels on it.
    Other wise I like it. It takes up alot of room so be sure and have a long wall for it or a big corner. It is 7 feet long open. The biggest gripe I have is that you have to keep it open cause the end pieces only close over the top. They do not fold down the side of the cabinet.
    If the instructions tell you to put in shims to level the lift table dont bother it dosnt work. You need to adjust the screws that hold the table in place.
    Be sure and have someone to help you do it.
    Mine was one of the first 300 so it had flaws that they included instructions for fixing problems. I hope yours is updated so no flaws are there. Some of the holes for screws had not been done on mine. And the lift table had problems with leveling. But I finally figured it out and it is fine now.
    Enjoy once it is togather.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I bought the same table for my big machine. It is called Burtha. It was hard to put togather and the instructions were not good. But it was a steal at $550 and included the insert that is customized for your machine.
    Be sure and center the lift table so it dosnt hit the back of the opening.
    Above all have someone help you as it takes 2 people. It is very heavy.
    Took me 2 days to put togather with just me doing it. I did not know about the metal pieces that fit over the bottom that you put the wheels in.
    The instructions didnt mention them so I put the wheels on without them and they split the partical board when I moved so no more wheels on it.
    Other wise I like it. It takes up alot of room so be sure and have a long wall for it or a big corner. It is 7 feet long open. The biggest gripe I have is that you have to keep it open cause the end pieces only close over the top. They do not fold down the side of the cabinet.
    If the instructions tell you to put in shims to level the lift table dont bother it dosnt work. You need to adjust the screws that hold the table in place.
    Be sure and have someone to help you do it.
    Mine was one of the first 300 so it had flaws that they included instructions for fixing problems. I hope yours is updated so no flaws are there. Some of the holes for screws had not been done on mine. And the lift table had problems with leveling. But I finally figured it out and it is fine now.
    Enjoy once it is togather.
    We noticed that the instructions did indeed suck.
    I'm surprised to learn that the sides don't fold down. That's sort of false advertising. The picture shows that they do. :evil: Oh well.

I think I have plenty of room for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast