Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just love handquilting! >

I just love handquilting!

I just love handquilting!

Old 03-19-2011, 02:31 PM

I love hand quilting also I have custody of my 4 grandchildren and that is the way that I wind down after being with them all day.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Dee

I'm going to try one by hand.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dee
I'm going to try one by hand.
Dee - it's addicting! You will be amazed as to how soothing it is once you get into a rhythm. Let us know how you do!

Cheryl
Old 03-19-2011, 06:44 PM

I love to hand quilt. I am working on a quilt right now for my granddaughter. I am using tricot (the stuff that slips are made from). I remember my little brother having a trioct quilt. They are very nice. I am backing with a piece of poly-cotton blend.

I want to do one for my friend as well. I have been teaching myself machine quilting, but when we go on vacation, I want to have something to do in the RV as we are driving. I have also taught myself handpiecing as well.

I don't get to work on it as much as I would like, as I crochet also, but it sure is fun.

There is one site I like for the tricot quilts, as they are wholecloth quilts and that is mandldesigns.com. They are located in Oregon.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by roadrunr
I do a little handquilting, I really like it, but I'm very slow and not very good at it, but I figure I need to do more of it to get the practice. Fortunately, the quilts I sew are meant to be used and not shown, so I guess if the quilting is not perfect, it doesn't really matter.
I agree with you.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

Yea hand quilting is so relaxing.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:12 AM

Location: Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground

Originally Posted by MIJul
O.K. I'm going to use this for personal gain, if that's all right. Since I've found all you hand quilting enthusiasts, can you please tell me how to build up a callous on my under finger? I hand quilt for a couple of hours in the evening, my under finger is so sore that I can't do it for several more days, and then I have to start all over again. I've tried "NuSkin" and "Liquid Bandage", and those sticky circles, but they don't help much and sometimes make it worse. Any suggestions, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hope I didn't break any forum rules by doing this.

Hi , I just thought you may look up Jean's Hand Quilting tute, on YouTube ..she speaks about Aunt Becky Tool for quilting it helps with the sore finger, I find it well helpful for that..interesting she also makes the quilters lap hoop, love that ..I have been hand quilting for quite some years and do not have sores..hope this helps everyone
Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 AM

I've been hand quilting for years - recently tried to machine quilt a small project. Turned out OK - BUT I really prefer to just sit and relax and quilt. Back to hand quilting for me!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:41 PM

Hand piecing & quilting is my passion too...I just dont even want my machine right now, Im having too much fun with small hand projects.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ann clare View Post
Me too. I love hand quilting. Making yo-yo's at present.
I just finished 409 batik yo-yo's and am hand sewing them onto black background strips with perle cotton thread. I'll machine sew the strips together and then hand quilt it. So far, it looks pretty good. I love handwork!