Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I know this a really dumb question, but I've not used my machine yet >

I know this a really dumb question, but I've not used my machine yet

I know this a really dumb question, but I've not used my machine yet

Old 03-20-2016, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
What type of machine do you have? I stay way from the serger cones because they are so linty. My Bernina 1530 only likes Mettler and Aurifil thread. Usually I use about 150 to 200 yards quilting a lap quilt.
I didn't see that she said she bought serger thread. Just cone thread and I use Aurifil and I have spools and cones of it.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
The amount of thread you use for a quilt depends on the size of the quilt and how dense your quilting is. For example, I just finished a quilt about 60x80", and I used about 300-350 yards of thread, based on using all of one bobbin and part of another. It was a loose meander, not at all dense. BYW, I use a lot of cone thread, especially the mini cones of 1000 yards. Big cones are 5000 yards. I also generally use Superior Threads of Aurifil products, but definitely not serger thread!Pam
I should have added that I use pre-wound bobbins and the bobbin thread was not included in my thread estimate. Sorry!
Old 03-20-2016, 03:21 PM

I use Isacord cones which are polyester on my Avante. These are 40 wt. and very clean. I also use aurifil cones. The cones work well with longarms. The Isacord is very resonable. Started it buying it at the dealer I got my longarm from.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by MarleneC View Post
I think this referred back to the lady saying she had purchased some cone thread and instantly several people took this to mean serger thread. I did not think that--I know I have cones of Aurifil cotton quilting thread. Can't see how much thread is on the cone but it goes along ways.
I was speaking specifically about the poster who said "Do not use cone thread in your quilts". I *could* agree with her if she had said "Do not use serger thread in your quilts".

My point was the same as yours - all cone threads are not created equal.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:44 PM

If you are going to use cones, be sure to purchase a "Thread Pro" stand to lace behind your machine so the thread will feed smoothly. One cone should last you through several quilts.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by grannyjoanne View Post
I am suppose to get it this. Crown Jewel with pearl stand
A Crown Jewel with pearl stand so you are asking how many quilts can you QUILT with a 5000 yard cone, not piece. Unless you are doing very dense quilting, you can get many quilts from a 5000 yard cone. Without knowing the exact size you will be doing, I can say if you have ordered a few cones you will be able to quilt as many as you want now and decide if you like this particular brand of thread before you order more. When I started I purchased a few cones of several different manufacturers and found the brand I (and my machine) liked best. Have fun with your new machine!
Old 03-21-2016, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by riana View Post
Do not use cone thread in your quilts. They are not only linty, but the fibers are very short and break easily, making your quilt very un-sturdy. Use regular cotton or poly thread. I use beige in the top and gray in the bobbin (or vice versa) so if there's a problem with tension I know which one to adjust.
I use Superior,Signature and YLI quilting cotton threads for quilting, these ones come in a cone. Aurifil and Mettler threads to piece the tops. Serger thread is for making clothes with a serger, not quilting.
Sharon in Texas
Old 03-21-2016, 07:40 AM

I have used a variety of cone threads for years and not had any problems. I have used it both for regular sewing and quilting.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:46 PM

I always use 100% cotton thread in neutral colors on my quilts because I am using 100% cotton fabric. I can pretty much make a large quilt using a regular large spool of mettle cotton thread. I stay away from Coats & Clark thread because I found it was not as strong and linty. Also I can't afford expensive thread like Aurifil. But for heavens sake the price of fabric nowadays maybe my quilting days are limited anyway!
Old 03-21-2016, 09:49 PM

I purchased 2 cones of Arulfil thread over a year ago. I quilt a lot, throw size, baby and a few double or queen size quilts. It all includes piecing, making rows, quilting and binding. Still have not ran out of thread. Overall quality cone thread actually has saved money.