Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I May Have Helped Prevent a Fire >

I May Have Helped Prevent a Fire

I May Have Helped Prevent a Fire

Old 01-15-2014, 05:13 PM

I made tater bags with cotton batting several years ago, all went well, but then last year when I saw the new cotton batting made for potato bags I bought it & made several for presents-made sure all cotton material, even the thread! I used the one I made for me to try it out-it caught on fire. Very scary, obviously did not give out the others for presents, still trying to use them for something else, jewelry bags, kindle bag, etc.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:36 PM

OK, all this talk about what not to use but what are you supposed to use? This isn't a subject that I am familiar with other than having read about the fact that some of them have caught fire. I just received two microwavable bowl wraps as as a gift today and would like not to have to deal with the possibility of a fire.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:00 AM

I made the microwave bowl potholders for Christmas and myself. I've had mine in the MW for 4-5 min. And no problems. Potatoes are generally in there longer so maybe that's where the problem lies? I personally just wash, poke holes and then zap my potatoes in the MW. And after i heard that you don't have to wrap foil around the potatoes before they go in a regular oven, I was real happy about that too. Just a pain! LOL
I think a convection oven is hotter than a MW oven. I don't think i would use the potatoe bags in there. Isn't it like a regular oven with a fan circulating the heat so it cooks faster?
Walmart.com has wrap n Zap for $3.09 per pkg. FYI
Old 01-16-2014, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
OK, all this talk about what not to use but what are you supposed to use? This isn't a subject that I am familiar with other than having read about the fact that some of them have caught fire. I just received two microwavable bowl wraps as as a gift today and would like not to have to deal with the possibility of a fire.
Wrap n Zap by Pellon is an all cotton batting. It is thinner than Warm and natural and doesn't have a scrim on it. Then use 100% cotton fabric and thread. That is what is supposed to be used. I think people get in trouble when the proper materials aren't used or not used the way they were intended.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:04 AM

I just nuke them naked and when they come out I wrap them in a towel for 5 minutes.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
You can't use insulbrite in the Microwave, can you?
You cannot use insulbrite in the microwave. It has aluminum in it. To make the potato bags you need to use "Warmtator" batting. You have to use all 100% cotton-fabric, thread and batting...
Old 01-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

great save!!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:25 AM

I have the same question as Cannyquilter - why would you wrap your potatoes in fabric and batting to cook it in the microwave?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by beaglelady View Post
I have the same question as Cannyquilter - why would you wrap your potatoes in fabric and batting to cook it in the microwave?
Count me as another who wonders this. I stab mine and stick them in the MW naked. They come out perfect. IMO, it's just a make-work project. Why do people embroider on toilet paper?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 AM

I'd had mine for a while, not used much, but did use it and it caught fire....WOULD NEVER EVER make or recommend the use of one of these.....who knows the correct way to make them anymore with all the mis information out there!!