Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need baby quilt advice!

Senior Member Sarah in Brooklyn's Avatar

I need baby quilt advice!

I need to make a baby quilt STAT! (Last minute invitation.) So I bought a charm pack of 5" squares, some cute baby prints, some solids. But I'm not sure about the size/proportions. Does it matter? If I make it 5 x 5 squares, I could do an X of solids. But is square weird? I want it to be small - any thoughts? I'm such a rank beginner, I truly don't know where to start!

Square would not be weird. Someone will come up with a great idea for you. Good luck.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

I've made square baby quilts, but they were 40" square. I presume you plan on adding borders? Post pictures when it's done so we can all see.

I hadn't decided about borders. Just bought the squares and a backing. It really can be small, it's for a teeny tiny baby. I'm going to try laying out some squares tonight and see where I get.

I like 40x40 for newborns, that way they can use it for a while and it's a good size for a toddler to drag about.

Power Poster
    You can get by with as small as 36 x 36 - it won't be 'big enough' very long if baby grows quickly - but then it would be a perfect 'drag around' size.

Square is nice for wrapping babies up burrito or papoose style. Which I did way back when - - - -Does anyone do that anymore?

In fact, I preferred the small quilts to be square .

I'm going for the burrito!

Blog Entries
    Square is not weird! Every baby quilt I've made has been square - anywhere from 36" to 42" square.

How many squares are in the charm pack?

One fun way to approach this is to deal the fabric squares out like cards by setting them side by side in a grid, then switch them around until you're happy with the arrangement.

Square is perfectly fine . . . but I wouldn't make it any smaller than 36" x 36". If that's "too big" for the baby, then she probably will be wrapped in a soft blanket, instead. Besides, tiny babies grow very quickly and by the time cool weather sets in, a smaller quilt would probably be too small.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Here is one that is fast and easy and uses print charm squares and solids. http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...d-pattern.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast