Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling all you experts - Need some advice on backing the new baby quilt. >

Calling all you experts - Need some advice on backing the new baby quilt.

Calling all you experts - Need some advice on backing the new baby quilt.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:39 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

I have posted the picture of the quilt below again so you can all see it, in case you missed it.
Here is my quandery, I brought a coordinating fabric for the back and thought I would not have a problem with it fitting, but then I decided to do a small extra sashing around the quilt. Well that put me over by a half inch all around. I did not realise this until I went to sandwich the quilt. Now because they no longer make the fabrics 45 inches wide I only have the quarter inch selvage as extra on the sides of the quilt (the top and bottom I have plenty of fabric).
My question is do you all think that this will be enough extra material on the sides to allow for when I quilt the quilt? (Am I making any sense here? I do tend to over explain things, LOL.) Or do you all think that I should make a border on the back? I really did not want to have to do this because I love the way the back looks with a red binding alone, but I have a feeling it may be my best option. :hunf:

Top of Baby Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82862[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82857.jpe  
Old 07-03-2010, 03:46 PM

Pennyswings - you can obviously piece the backing if you like, to give you extra room to work, or, you can use John Flynn's technique of cutting the fabric on the diagonal, sliding the two sections to provide a wider piece of fabric then restitching. I've used his technique and have also altered it slightly by adding a diagonal piece of extra fabric between the two sections. You can see his instructions on his website at: http://www.flynnquilt.com/workshop/FreeLessons/
The slice of fabric sewn into the back on the diagonal really adds punch to that side without much work.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:02 PM

I often add a diagonal and slide to make wider. Miss the few extra inches from the 45".
Old 07-03-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
Pennyswings - you can obviously piece the backing if you like, to give you extra room to work, or, you can use John Flynn's technique of cutting the fabric on the diagonal, sliding the two sections to provide a wider piece of fabric then restitching. I've used his technique and have also altered it slightly by adding a diagonal piece of extra fabric between the two sections. You can see his instructions on his website at: http://www.flynnquilt.com/workshop/FreeLessons/
The slice of fabric sewn into the back on the diagonal really adds punch to that side without much work.
Wow, thanks for posting that! I need to bookmark that! :)
Old 07-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

I have tried that and it works great. Good suggestion.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:17 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Originally Posted by ktbb
Thanks ktbb sounds like a good suggestion, I will go check out the site.