Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need the best book around. >

I need the best book around.

I need the best book around.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:25 AM

Go to a bookstore or library and look at the quilting books available there. Each person is different and you might like a different style than I do. If you can borrow a couple from a library, that is even better as you'll have more time to review them. Many quilting magazines have some basic quilting instructions in them also.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:49 AM

I echo what others have said about Quilts, Quilts, Quilts. I have it and the second one. Directions and pictures are excellent. It is set up where it can be used to teach yourself or to teach others. A great source.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:03 AM

I'm self taught and bought just one book, it was (believe it or not) "Quilting for Dummies". Seriously .. it covered all of the basics from start to finish ... fabric, thread and tools needed all the way through displaying a finished quilt.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 AM
pw6

there is a beginners quilt book " LET'S QUILT by Ann Kisro it has easy projects fro first time quilters .. but you can go on utube anytime and watch videos on everything to do and about every pattern you can think of.. I would suggest you start with something small and easy like a 9 patch pattern, do placemats, wall hangings, potholders, small things until you get the hang of things then branch out to baby quilts and so on Good luck you will do fine.. just enjoy and do not let it get to you, walk away if things get a bit tense and come back later and all will look in a better lite..
Old 01-24-2014, 12:08 PM

I have a Singer book with a copyright of 1990 titled "Quilting by Machine" and it takes you step by step from selecting fabric to selecting colors and then putting a quilt together. Also a book by Leslie Linsley titled "First Steps in Quilting" that will take you step by step. Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting and as a newbee remember to start simple.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by thyme2quilt View Post
The Quilter's Academy books by Harriet and Carrie Hargrave.
These books have such a weatlh of information in them. I'm anxiously waiting for the next one!
Old 01-24-2014, 02:16 PM

fons and porter's "quilter's complete guide."

i don't use it as much as i used to because i can google so many techniques now, but it saw me through the first 10 years

aileen
Old 01-24-2014, 02:34 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought Quilts, Quilts, Quilts and More Quilts (by same author) in 1992. That is when I first started quilting. Those were my only two books I had for many years. They had everything I needed in them. If you go to craftsy.com, and go to quilting, look for Craftsy BOM 2013. One of the authors of those books did a whole year of BOMs. You can watch her make blocks and she gives excellent tips along the way. Tips I've never known about. I think you would be satisfied with her first book, for sure. I still use it, 22 year later. I have many books now, but none that teach you to quilt. I'm so glad I bought Quilts, Quilts, Quilts.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:57 PM

While at the thrift store today, I found a copy of Quilts Quilts Quilts, and I remembered this post so I bought it. If you want to pay shipping, you can have it. (I also have a copy of it and its great!)
Old 01-24-2014, 03:44 PM

i was going to say what lyndaoh said i have the same book and
just love it . i am looking at it all the time for tips and information