Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need the best book around. >

I need the best book around.

I need the best book around.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:51 AM

I prefer to use the computer and Nightengale books now has e books you can just download for less than half the price of a printed book. I love that ability to get what I want when I want it and then the books are always at my finger tips. I find reading on the computer much easier.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:23 AM

My go to book is "Quilter's Complete Guide" by Marianne Fons and Liz Porter. The edition I have is spiral bound so it lays open and flat, perfect when trying to follow directions. I got it in 1993 from my mom a non-quilter and wouldn't give it up for anything. In fact when I acquired a 2nd book I gave it to DD's friend who was just starting to get into quilting. Lot's of notes and marked pages!
Old 01-25-2014, 11:24 AM

Quilter's Complete Guide by Fonz and Porter and Quilts, Quilts, Quilts are both ones I recommend to people asking for a good book for quilting.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:14 PM

I used Quilts, Quilts, Quilts a lot when first starting out and still refer to it now and then. It has photos and patterns in it also and it shows you how to make your quilt block larger or smaller. See if your local public library has it, check it out and see if it is logical for you, then buy it. That goes for other books also. I also have the Better Homes and Gardens book and it's also good.

Annette
Old 01-25-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
I am a beginner quilter who needs a good "quilters bible" or book that has everything I need to know in it. I have several books that have odds and ends of information in them but I have to go from book to book to find what I need to know. Amazon.com has a book titled Quilts,Quilts,Quilts that is supposed to be good according to Keepsake Quilting. Let me know what you think is the best book to buy so I won't be book poor.
I like Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting myself...
Old 01-25-2014, 04:15 PM

"Quilter's Complete Guide" by Fons and Porter
Old 01-25-2014, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I'm self taught and bought just one book, it was (believe it or not) "Quilting for Dummies". Seriously .. it covered all of the basics from start to finish ... fabric, thread and tools needed all the way through displaying a finished quilt.
This was the book I bought also. It helped me a lot.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
I love the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. I refer to it often and have since I started quilting. Quilts, Quilts, Quilts is also a favorite.
Ditto for me... it was one of the first things I purchased along with my rotary cutter and mat!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Look at ones that friends have, check out what the library has and visit local fabric shops and shop for the book that is right for you
Old 01-28-2014, 04:55 PM

Fons and Porter wrote the quilting Bible years ago... I don't have one, but have used a friends a lot. Also Carol Doak has a book call My first Quilting book... that is good too. I agree with other posts... the internet is a great resource, but you do have to have the basics, so you know what to ask and what to look up... Take a beginner class from a good quilt store.... may be a little more expensive, but you will never regret it... plus then when you have a question you can always go back to them and they are happy to help you.