Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need the best book around. >

I need the best book around.

I need the best book around.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 PM

Default I need the best book around.

I am a beginner quilter who needs a good "quilters bible" or book that has everything I need to know in it. I have several books that have odds and ends of information in them but I have to go from book to book to find what I need to know. Amazon.com has a book titled Quilts,Quilts,Quilts that is supposed to be good according to Keepsake Quilting. Let me know what you think is the best book to buy so I won't be book poor.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 PM

I love the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. I refer to it often and have since I started quilting. Quilts, Quilts, Quilts is also a favorite.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:49 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Ive always gone to the internet.. My books collect dust and just site there looking pretty.. Hope someone comes by and helps you out..
Old 01-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

I don't think there is a single book that has everything, but The Art of Classic Quiltmaking by Harriet Hargrave and Sharyn Craig comes close. Quilting techniques are continuously evolving though, as shown by the recent use of Elmer's glue for just about everything. http://www.amazon.com/Art-Classic-Qu...ic+quiltmaking
Old 01-23-2014, 03:58 PM

How about checking out books at your local library?

Nan - IN
Old 01-23-2014, 04:09 PM

I second Quilts, Quilts, Quilts. My teacher used it for our beginners class & I still reference it frequently, plus I love that almost all the patterns give fabric requirements & cutting charts for your choice of crib, full, queen & king sizes.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:11 PM

MY go to quilting bible is: The Quilter's Pocket Reference by Peggy Scholley. I have given a few as gifts and the quilters who received them love it. Most of the LQS's have it near their cutting tables to help quilters before having their fabric cut.

If you are a total newbie to quilting then I'd suggest All-In-One rotary Cutting Magic with Omnigrid by Nancy Johnson-Srebo. This explains how to use the angle lines on the rulers. If you have had a quilting 101 type class you don't need this one.

This way you don't have to go online whenever a question arises.

Of course, I am very fond of my EQ program. I usually use it to show others what their quilt will look like and how much fabric they will need. The print function also includes how to rotary cut, printing paper piecing patterns, and printing templates. I just sent the picture and info for a dear friend who I will be doing a quilt for so she could see the pattern, thanks to the export function. This way she is involved even though far away.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:26 PM

Christmas 2012 my daughter-in-law gave the 'All-in-One Quilter's Reference Tool'. It was a great addition to my quilting library. Has 1) yardage requirements 2) cutting instructions 3) setting secrets 4) choosing supplies 5) piecing techniques 6) number conversions and so much more. She got it at Amazon.com
Old 01-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I don't think there is a single book that has everything, but The Art of Classic Quiltmaking by Harriet Hargrave and Sharyn Craig comes close. Quilting techniques are continuously evolving though, as shown by the recent use of Elmer's glue for just about everything. http://www.amazon.com/Art-Classic-Qu...ic+quiltmaking
I second this one.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
I love the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. I refer to it often and have since I started quilting. Quilts, Quilts, Quilts is also a favorite.
I have many but Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting is my favorite. It has photographs instead of drawings which I find very helpful. I think there is a new edition out now.