Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need colour confidence! >

I need colour confidence!

I need colour confidence!

Old 11-26-2015, 09:34 AM

I think getting comfortable with color comes with experience. You learn from every quilt you make--some work and some don't---but you learn from each of them. I also look at lots of pictures of quilts to try to figure out what I like or don't like, and why. After awhile you will start figuring out your 'style' and color combos that you like.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

Invest in a color wheel and learn what the different color terms mean (primary, secondary, tertiary, complementary, analogous, etc). Once you understand the terms you will look at the color wheel as a great tool to help you decide.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:52 AM

whew, Maniac Quilter 2, I love that bargello. It is just beautiful.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:18 PM

Even after many years of color coordination and having fun with fabric, I find that sometimes my vision of what I expect from a combination of fabrics doesn't match what I have on hand, as I'm mostly "shopping my stash". However usually I'm pleasantly surprised with the results, or I may end up changing my direction in midstream because it just isn't coming together. Have ended up with some I really like and a few that I hope someone else will love because it doesn't do anything for me. Lol!
Just keep playing with fabric and try out things out of your comfort zone in small projects like wall hangings, table toppers, totes, etc. Above all have fun in the process!
Old 11-26-2015, 08:02 PM

Look at what Kaffe Fassett does with color. You will see a lot of quilts with very simple patterns that have colors of similar value that break some of the most common color "rules," like needing different values or needing a lot of contrast. I am hardly him, and far more restrained, but my two most recent tops have very little contrast at all but are very color-rich. If I had gone with the old "contrast for pop" chestnut, I'd have never envisioned them. Of course, if your pattern has a lot of pieces and movement, you will likely need a certain recipe for contrast in order to make the pattern work.

Just some thoughts,
charlotte
Old 11-26-2015, 11:03 PM

Find a large print that "speaks" to you. Use the colors in that print, whether you use the print itself or not. (You might use the print on the back)
Old 11-27-2015, 09:38 AM

I echo the Jenny Beyer book. Also invest in a color wheel and deliberately choose colors on the opposite side of the wheel when you have chosen your major color.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I agree with katier825, using the color dots on the selvage of your focus fabric will help you pick colors that are in the focus fabric and you will be able to find fabrics in those colors, always remember to vary the size of the other fabric, using tone-on-tone, medium tones, etc., and you should be fine.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:32 PM

I find the ladies at the quilt stores very helpful. A lot of them have an eye for color and can help you choose colors you will be happy with.