Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Magnifier vs. Video Feed >

Magnifier vs. Video Feed

Magnifier vs. Video Feed

Old 11-25-2015, 11:02 PM

Default Magnifier vs. Video Feed

I recently got a sewing table so my machine is at proper height for my arms, but now I'm struggling to see. My machine is now flat instead of tilted & it's now 3" lower. Bernina sells magnifiers for my machine, but I was wondering whether I might just be better off setting up a large computer monitor at eye level & aiming a video camera at my machine needle so that way I'm not having to strain my neck by looking downward for hours while quilting. Has anybody tried a live video feed? How did it work?

Also wondering if anyone was getting neck/shoulder pain from tilting neck down to see where to quilt, but was helped by a magnifier. I have close to 20/20 vision & TONS of bright lighting in my sewing studio (plus natural light from windows with a UV film) so it's not my vision. I've had multiple neck & back surgeries so tilting my neck down is difficult & very painful, but I'm not about to give up a hobby/job I love this much!
Old 11-26-2015, 12:25 AM

I have the bernina magnifying glasses. They fit just above the needle area and personally stopped using them as it was so difficult to get a clear focus.
Not sure about the video.
have you thought about trying to tip the machine? This would help your neck more than the other ways. Try usin a thin book under front of machine until it comes a comfy slope, this is what I do as I have neck issues. The front isn't level but my back of machine stays on back place.

Good luck.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:52 AM

I used to tilt it when I had it on top of the table, but I can't do that now that it is flush with the tabletop. It did help some doing that, but I still had to tilt my head down somewhat & that is a huge struggle for me to maintain for more than a minute or two.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

Maybe the table isn't a good option for you. Were you more comfortable the other way?
Old 11-26-2015, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I would be worried if there was a delay in what you were viewing. I got a Bluetooth wireless speaker so I could listen better on my tablet while watching TV and there is a delay that drives me nuts!! I would suggestion you rethink the placement of your DSM. You have to be comfortable at where you sit to your DSM. Good Luck.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:05 AM

maybe if you push your chair back a bit.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:26 AM

Can you tilt the table? If it is inset, the machine will not slide out, as long as the angle is not too extreme. Maybe you could set the legs into something to secure them to the angle you need and to the floor so that the table does not tip over.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
Can you tilt the table? If it is inset, the machine will not slide out, as long as the angle is not too extreme. Maybe you could set the legs into something to secure them to the angle you need and to the floor so that the table does not tip over.
This is what I was going to suggest. Seems to be the answer.....try it what can it hurt?
Old 11-26-2015, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

I have two of these. One in my workshop tote and one on my machine at home. Most every one in a class sees mine and wants one, many go online while in class and orders one. My guild ordered a lot in one order and got a discount. Wonderful company and great customer service.
http://www.thebiglook.co/
Old 11-26-2015, 02:52 PM

The Big Look seems great, but would not solve the neck/head angle problem. I recently saw dash cams advertised for a low price. They have a video feed with a screen, but I couldn't tell where you put the screen. That might be something you could look into.