Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help....again. >

I need help....again.

I need help....again.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 AM

I purchased some quilt blocks with an applique from a vendor online. What I received and what I thought I was getting are two different things. Although I am happy with the actual design of the applique and it is what I expected, the fabric is a real disapointment. The fabric is white and sort of thin. When placed on top of a piece of fabric with a pattern, I can see a shadow of that pattern. I'm afraid the batting will show thru when it's quilted. However, the fabric appears to be strong as it did not rip, tear or streatch out of shape when I pulled on it to test it's strength. The fabric also washed and dried well.

My questions are: Can I sew a second layer of fabric under the appliqued blocks to prevent the batting from showing thru? If so, can I use a basting spray to hold the two layers in place and smooth while sewing? I plan to send the finished top out to have machine quilted. Would the second layer of fabric or using the basting spray cause a problem for the individual who will be doing the actual quilting when I get the top pieced?

Or, does anyone have a better way to resolve my problem? I would appreciate any advise anyone can give me.

Thanks a million.
Betty
Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 AM

Use white batting...won't notice a thing.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 AM

Sorry to hear of your problem. I would think that putting a square of muslin or white fabric under each block would be fine. Quilting everything together will stabalize it. I would make sure and wash the under fabric since you've washed the blocks. That way there won't be any surprizes with shrinkage, etc.

Call your machine quilter and ask if she's had any experience with this problem. She might have a suggestion as well.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

I would use white batting too, I bet it will be just fine :wink:

Another thought is this, add another layer to your quilt sandwich. Lay a piece of white fabric on top of the batting and then your quilt top on top of that. It would be easier than trying to cut and sew squares to your blocks, and less bulky too :D:D:D