Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help making bias strips, please. >

I need help making bias strips, please.

I need help making bias strips, please.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:46 PM

Default I need help making bias strips, please.

I am making a quilt named "My Rose of Sharon" with a new twist and a supersized update to the traditional "Rose of Sharon" quilt. I regret I am unable to provide a picture of it because my scanner seems to be on the blink. A picture of the quilt appears on the 2010 cover of the Quilter's World magazine. The quilt has 1 rather large flower in the center of the top with 8 smaller flowers surrounding it. There are stems connecting the large flower to the small flowers. The pattern directions to make the stems are as follows:

"Using a 1/2" bias maker prepare 300" of green mottled bias for stems referring to the manufacture's instruction."

While I know how to make bias strips, I do not own a bias maker and do not want to purchase one to use for this project as it's unlikely I would ever use it again. So, my question is, if I cut my bias strips 1 inch wide and turn the raw edges under 1/4 inch on each side ending up with a finished 1/2 inch strip will this the same size strip that is produced by the bias strip maker? In my mind it should be but being I have never seen a bias strip maker work and I am not good at math, I would appreciate assistance with this little project.

Thanks in advance for reading my post and for any help you can provide.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:15 PM

Yes, that would work.

For 300" of bias tape I would be tempted to buy the tool... the $5-6 it would cost would really speed up the job, and reduce frustration. If you're comfortable folding it yourself, though, you have the measurements right. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2016, 04:23 PM

buy the tool. The edges of the stems will be smooth and even.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:33 PM

Thanks Jennifer and Jane, I did not realize the bias makers were so cheap. I was under the impression they were in the $30 range. Hopefully I will be an owner of one before the sun sets tomorrow evening.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

The bias tool you need is under $10. It's not the mechanical one, it's a metal funnel like thing that you use with your regular iron. Big box stores carry them.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

Clover brand makes the best bias tape maker. There are YouTube videos that show how to use it. I like to starch the fabric before cutting the strips; it makes the folds super crisp and stable. Be sure to follow the directions that come with the tape maker for the best width to cut your strips.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:49 AM
Power Poster

I picked up bias binding makers in a package of (4) sizes, 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" & 3/4" for under $10 at Joanne's. Nancy's notions also carry them if you prefer shopping on line. They are good tools to have on hand- might only use once in awhile,but when you need them you have them. Much easier than folding by hand!