Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a new machine...what to buy??? >

I need a new machine...what to buy???

I need a new machine...what to buy???

Old 06-28-2010, 05:19 PM

I bought a singer for $99 8 years ago and took my first quilting class. I loved it!!! I have made several quilts since then but still am learning. My machine has died and I need to buy a new one. What do you suggest would be a good machine for not a ton of money?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:25 PM

Oh yeah and what ever I get I need to get hands on help learning how to use it. I am not one of those people that can read a book and figure out a machine or figure out things by myself. I can do just about anything after I see it done but I learn by seeing....So I can't order something off the internet and expect to be able to figure it out....LOL
Old 06-28-2010, 05:27 PM

Check which dealers you have available within a distance you are willing to travel in order to take classes and get help. Also, organize your budget, know the max you can invest, and take it from there.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

How much do you want to spend?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:38 PM

Go to local dealers and try out the different machines. Our Janome dealer has gently used machines that have been gone over and come with a years warrenty. They are far less than new ones. Ask what accessories come with the machine, and how much others cost. If I were going to get a new machine it would be a Janome but that's just my opinion. Others will recommend other machines. It will also depend on what you want to do with it. Do you want embroidery capabilities? Thread cutter? Thread knotter? Light enough to carry to class? With cabinet or portable? What will your budget stand? All those are questions that you need to decide, some with the help of you local dealer. It's like getting a husband, find the one that fits you the best and will do the things you want it to do with the least amount of cost and maintenance. LOL
Old 06-28-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by sburgess113
I bought a singer for $99 8 years ago and took my first quilting class. I loved it!!! I have made several quilts since then but still am learning. My machine has died and I need to buy a new one. What do you suggest would be a good machine for not a ton of money?
Look at your local sewing machine dealer. They have both new and "gently used" machines. Often you can get "more" machine for your dollar if you purchase a gently used machine. The dealer should offer you a full warranty and classes. ;)

Hehe...just saw Raptureready's reply...we think alike!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:47 PM

I sure wouldn't buy a new Singer, although the older ones are fine, personally I love my elnas, but the one thing I would do is buy from a dealer and test drive whatever is in your price range.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:47 PM

Well I want one I can quilt on so the feed dogs need to go down for sure. I also would like to add the capability to embroidery if it is not to costly. I have a max of $1000 budget. I hope to find something that will meet my needs for under that budget with all the extra presser feet and accessories I need. If I have to drop the embroidery feature if I need to in able to get a good machine.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:49 PM

There's a wonderful new Janome for $799. I haven't sewn on it yet but you might try it out.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:52 PM

Portable, needle down, and good variaty of stitch selection, are must to but should be standard for new machines :)..
I live in central Arkansas (Cabot) if anyone knows a good dealer in this area.