Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need quilting suggestions from experienced quilters Please.

I need quilting suggestions from experienced quilters Please.

Quilting suggestions please and thanks.
    I am hoping for suggestions on how to quilt this top from the talented quilted on this forum. I am not Very experienced on my long arm, and any help would be appreciated. I was thinking of circles, or wavy lines on the black portions and possibly meandering on the colored trails and circles. Sincerely, DonnaName:  quilt - Trails and Circles.JPG
Views: 1330
Size:  153.0 KB
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

Power Poster
    Pretty top! Since the fans meander, meandering down them with turquoise thread would be nice. Lines of stitching in the black following the fan shape would work. I would quilt the black in black thread so really any quilting pattern would work since you won't see it.

You could also do multiple echoes around all the circles (in the black) so you'd end up with an effect like ripples on water.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Blog Entries
    how about quilting along the ric rac. when you let your eyes blurr, it looks like DNA stripes.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    i like the previous suggestions. just wanted to say i love your rick rack idea
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I am always fond of feathers, and this would be great practice on them! the spines could follow the middle of the trails. then on the black, I would probably echo the outside shapes -- you just have to think about the order of what lines you want in front/back.....

the best way to practice drawing them and figuring out which flow works best for you! There are many different types1

I'm going to go outside the box here and suggest ditching each section of the fans/circles and do feathers in the black backgrounds. Not sure whether I'd use black for the feathers or turquoise. Would definitely use turquoise on the fans.

I love this quilt! I have no suggestions on the quilting, as each suggestion so far is really good. I just wanted to admire your quilt!

Dina

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    wow! what a cute, creative quilt--love it! I would use black thread in the black and turquoise in the dresden fans. I'd probably do some pretty dense quilting in the black (pebbles, maybe the lines echoing the dresden fans, or even straight lines going horizontally --although you'd probably have too many stop/starts with that, maybe feathers or scrolls, or even McTavishing) so that the fans would really pop. I'd probably do a less dense quilting on them--maybe just ditching or wavy lines about 1/2 inside the rickrack following the fans. Please post a picture once you get it quilted.

How will the rick rack hold up when washed? Should you perhaps anchor it with some quilting? I love the way it looks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast