Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need to stop stressing about this >

I need to stop stressing about this

I need to stop stressing about this

Old 10-31-2010, 10:31 PM

The glue holds them together pretty well and there are no pins to worry about. When I use pins I pin both sides of the seam and walk my machine over the pins. I hate doing that.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:53 AM

I've heard the Amish intentionally put a mistake in each quilt because the only things perfect are made by the Lord. So for quilting purposes consider me Amish! :-D
Old 11-01-2010, 04:00 AM

My question is, how many people are going to be laying ON the quilt to look at the seams? You should look at it from at least 4 feet away, as most people will who will be looking at it. Where are you standing when you go to a gallery to look at fine art paintings, or at a quilt show? My point, Back Off Jack!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by gale
The glue holds them together pretty well and there are no pins to worry about. When I use pins I pin both sides of the seam and walk my machine over the pins. I hate doing that.
I wouldn't want to use glue on seams because it will affect the lay of the fabric when you press it to one side or try to press it open. I prefer to pin the seam join, approach it slowly and remove the pin just as the needle is ready to penetrate the fabric. You should never sew over a pin; nicks the needle and can mess up the throatplate when the needle strikes the pin.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:13 AM
JJs
Banned

At the Hattiesburg quilt show there were over 400 quilts - and believe me they were absolutely GORGEOUS - BREATHTAKING as a matter of fact - lots of originals, art quilts, log cabins, the Hoffman challenge.... and if you stuck your nose right up on the quilt - guess what - lots of seams didn't match... stars were kinda wonky - etc... but believe me, the main focus of each and every quilt was NOT "do the seams match perfectly?"
Now that doesn't mean that a half inch off is in the ballpark but come on - give yourself a little leeway!!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:34 AM

Gale, there is an Amish saying that has been my guide. Perhaps it will help you. They purposely leave one visible mistake in a quilt because......."the only thing in life that is perfect is God, so let it go."

Sure helps me in quilting and my life :)
Old 11-01-2010, 05:49 AM

I've found that most all artists (and we ARE artists) tend to be perfectionists. Look at some of our great inventors and scientists. How many light bulbs did Edison make before he got one to work? They won't quit till it's perfect. And it's not just in or quilting but in most everything we do. Remember, for the most part we sew to please ourselves unless we're professionals.

Our family and friends never see our mistakes or slightly off seams. Neither do strangers unless they're judging your quilt in a show.

So quilters all, relax, enjoy your talent and if you have to spit once in awhile, that's what the board is for.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:22 AM

I can relate, but have learned to relax a bit about all this. After all, quilting is suppose to be fun, right, & we do it for us, right! We are our own worst critics, & I agree, once the quilt is altogether, it's funny how no one else even notices what we were stressing about. I try to keep my quilting fun, & when it's not, it's time to find sometime else to do for awhile...
Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 AM

I know we all try to be perfect in our work but I was lucky in the first day I took my new machine lesson a lady told me when looking at a quilt on your bed you will not see a bit off, but if you are going to put your quilt in a show do it right. It has saved me, and if it is so bad I keep the block as a reference point with notes of what went wrong, I plan on taking that box out in a year or two and making a quilt for fun.
Only been quilting for 8 weeks now.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by gale
I am working on a top and was having trouble getting my seams to stay lined up. So I started doing the glue, which is helping. Well now, when I get a row stitched, I take off my glasses and look realllllly close to make sure my seams are lined up. WHY am I doing that? If I can't see it without my nose an inch away, why does it matter?? I am stuck in this anal mode worrying about my seams being one thread off and I know it's stupid yet I keep doing it.

And I ripped out two areas to line up the seams better. One was pretty bad though-from before I was using the glue.

I was told "if you can't see it on a galloping horse, it's not worth ripping out" So lay the piece down, gallop by & if you can't see it, don't worry about it!