Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I need to stop stressing about this

Gale, there is an Amish saying that has been my guide. Perhaps it will help you. They purposely leave one visible mistake in a quilt because......."the only thing in life that is perfect is God, so let it go."

Sure helps me in quilting and my life :)

I've found that most all artists (and we ARE artists) tend to be perfectionists. Look at some of our great inventors and scientists. How many light bulbs did Edison make before he got one to work? They won't quit till it's perfect. And it's not just in or quilting but in most everything we do. Remember, for the most part we sew to please ourselves unless we're professionals.

Our family and friends never see our mistakes or slightly off seams. Neither do strangers unless they're judging your quilt in a show.

So quilters all, relax, enjoy your talent and if you have to spit once in awhile, that's what the board is for.

I can relate, but have learned to relax a bit about all this. After all, quilting is suppose to be fun, right, & we do it for us, right! We are our own worst critics, & I agree, once the quilt is altogether, it's funny how no one else even notices what we were stressing about. I try to keep my quilting fun, & when it's not, it's time to find sometime else to do for awhile...

Blog Entries
    I know we all try to be perfect in our work but I was lucky in the first day I took my new machine lesson a lady told me when looking at a quilt on your bed you will not see a bit off, but if you are going to put your quilt in a show do it right. It has saved me, and if it is so bad I keep the block as a reference point with notes of what went wrong, I plan on taking that box out in a year or two and making a quilt for fun.
    Only been quilting for 8 weeks now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I am working on a top and was having trouble getting my seams to stay lined up. So I started doing the glue, which is helping. Well now, when I get a row stitched, I take off my glasses and look realllllly close to make sure my seams are lined up. WHY am I doing that? If I can't see it without my nose an inch away, why does it matter?? I am stuck in this anal mode worrying about my seams being one thread off and I know it's stupid yet I keep doing it.

And I ripped out two areas to line up the seams better. One was pretty bad though-from before I was using the glue.

I was told "if you can't see it on a galloping horse, it's not worth ripping out" So lay the piece down, gallop by & if you can't see it, don't worry about it!

I was in your boat, driving me crazy to match seams and points. I posted here, and I recieved a lot of reply's, about if you can't see it from a galloping horse don't worry. Well, all of the positive posts got me back in the quilting mood. I am very happy with the way it is going together now

I think we have all done this. Now when I use the quilts that I have made, I don't even notice my uneven seems. I still would like them to be perfect though!

I was told "if you can't see it on a galloping horse, it's not worth ripping out" So lay the piece down, gallop by & if you can't see it, don't worry about it![/quote]

So THAT is what is meant by a galloping horse in quilting!!!! Thanks so much!

Blog Entries
    OK inspired by everyone, I did not glue the last two rows and I used only ONE pin per intersection. I did walk the machine over it but it wasn't too bad. I guess. Anyway all of them came out fine except one was less than 1/8" off...AND I LEFT IT. I didn't rip it out. yay! I need to put the borders on and then I'm DONE with this top! And I can start working on my Christmas projects.

Within reason, I think we should worry about having fun and being happy with what we are doing without the stress we can put on ourselves - the lass who posted the note on here about 'near enough is good enough' has the right attitude, in my opinion. Have fun and enjoy.

Blog Entries
    I got to a hard place on the quilt I'm working on and ended up using the 1/4" tape on some of the seams. But I only took one block apart (had to, there was hole in the corner!) :!:

relax and dont be so harsh on yourself, i was told by a 86 year old quilter , that has been quilting many many years that there is no such thing as the perfect made quilt

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Do you use starch? Ever since I started using HEAVY starch my seams are
    much much better. Give it a try and I'm pretty sure you won't need any glue
    for piecing.
    I agree, the seams nest so much better. Since starching I have had no problems with seams matching up. Now, if I could get a consistent 1/4" seam, I would be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by lindagor
    I've heard the Amish intentionally put a mistake in each quilt because the only things perfect are made by the Lord. So for quilting purposes consider me Amish! :-D
    I don't need to do it intentionally LOL...my mistakes come with no effort at all.

OK inspired by everyone, I did not glue the last two rows and I used only ONE pin per intersection. I did walk the machine over it but it wasn't too bad. I guess. Anyway all of them came out fine except one was less than 1/8" off...AND I LEFT IT. I didn't rip it out. yay! I need to put the borders on and then I'm DONE with this top! And I can start working on my Christmas projects.
    I'm glad you eased up on yourself...no point in getting tied up in knots, otherwise nothing gets done.

ladies, ladies, ladies, these are NOT FLAWS in your quilt they ARE CHARACTER marks. Now quit fussing over the little stuff and get them done! LOL

Blog Entries
    I am working on a top and was having trouble getting my seams to stay lined up. So I started doing the glue, which is helping. Well now, when I get a row stitched, I take off my glasses and look realllllly close to make sure my seams are lined up. WHY am I doing that? If I can't see it without my nose an inch away, why does it matter?? I am stuck in this anal mode worrying about my seams being one thread off and I know it's stupid yet I keep doing it.

And I ripped out two areas to line up the seams better. One was pretty bad though-from before I was using the glue.

Have you tried measuring the quarter inch on your machine with a ruler,, and using painters blue tape, mark a 'scant' quarter inch all the way across the front of the machine? I do this even on my New machine, or NONE of my seams are straight. I have challenges to sewing straight, and this is my remedy. I can even keep the seams straight while talking! I hope this helps! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by retired2pa
    Relax, gale!!! The Quilt Police aren't going to be visiting any time soon :) If they came every time we (and I mean ALL of us!!) were "off" on our seams, they'd be pretty busy...LOL

No one will know except you...unless you've missed it by a mile (which I doubt)! Quilting hides a multitude of sins, believe me :) Just enjoy the process. The finished project will be great :)
    Of course the QP can't visit you. They moved in with me. Indefinitely. But for Xmas they promised to hide my over worn Panic Button. Hope it's lost for good like most of my absolutely -necessary -stuff seems to be.

As far as using glue, I use a glue stick (made for paper). It works well and you don't have to wait for it to dry. Saw this on sewing with nancy!

We are our own worst quilting police. But you know, I've learned to let myself off with a warning sometimes. If it's REAL bad then, yes, rip it and re-do it. But if its off by the tiniest bit then leave it. Not going to make a difference when you're done and show it to people who compliment your work.

Blog Entries
    We want to see a picture when your done

Love the 3 times rule - I've used it for a while now - if still not perfect (or almost) I use my newest phrase "Close Enough!".

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Do you use starch? Ever since I started using HEAVY starch my seams are
    much much better. Give it a try and I'm pretty sure you won't need any glue
    for piecing.
    Ok, for a newbie to quilting, do you spray the whole piece of fabric before you even start cutting? or where and when do you spray?

Power Poster
    Mu husband always tells me "if you didn't point it out to people nobody would even notice including you" so relax nothing in this world is perfect.

It's your project, stress over it if you must, just don't stress over the stressing! :-P

I'm a Virgo and we can be really, really intensly exacting. The Perfectionist. But I learned to not demand exactness in everything when I volunteered at an elementary school and had to make seasonal posters for the classrooms. It dawned on me pretty fast that the wonderful children enjoyed the entire picture, never noticing that the circle might not be perfectly round at one area. If something really is obviously off, I redo it. Mostly I remind myself that I quilt the Amish way, No one is perfect, only the Lord is. Works.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast