Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Need Your Help Girls and Guys on Applique or whatever >

I Need Your Help Girls and Guys on Applique or whatever

I Need Your Help Girls and Guys on Applique or whatever

Old 03-09-2010, 06:03 PM

Ok! I know that many of you have surely done this, whatever it is called. (Maybe Applique???) I've never done applique so I don't know if this is what that is. Here's the problem.

I am trying to learn to do the Kaleidoscopes. If you've seen my posted topic "I got new templates today" then you've seen what I'm trying to make. On the rounded edge Rhonda told me to turn it under 1/4" and baste it before sewing the blades together.

Well, I'm having a problem doing that. I even sewed a basting line on the blade 1/4" from the rounded edge to turn/fold on but it's just not working out for me. I tried 4 times! So I had a different idea. One that would eliminate having to do that.

I have some of that Heat n Bond paper that doesn't usually work very well, at least for me. I cut 1/4" strips of it and bonded the "Fake" Kaleidoscope to the background fabric.
Then, I zig-zagged around the edge. If this would work then I could Stitch in the Ditch on the blade seams and it would be finished.

My question is, if I zig-zag around the edge of a Kaleidoscope, as I did in red on my Fake one, will it fray out or come undone when it is washed. I got to close to the top edge so just ignore that. I'd appreciate any ideas or thoughts that you have on the subject. To me, it seems like it should work fine but I've never done it so I don't know for sure. Thanks alot in advance for your help. I really appreciate it.

My "Fake" that I zig-zagged around
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3512[/ATTACH]

How the real one would look
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3515[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-3512.jpe   attachment-3515.jpe  
Old 03-09-2010, 06:50 PM

i see what you are doing check your machine it may have an applique stitch on it there are two or three applique stitches you can use if not the one u used is close enough go to u tube and see the Eleanor Buns method of applique. i will try to explain. place you kaleidoscope face down on muslin or very light fabric some people use the dryer sheets after there wash sew almost all the way around it leave a place open so u can turn it right side out and the edge is Finnish then u can sew it to your block. does that make sense to you? i hope i wasn't too long winded hope that helps' your project is nice.
mema
Old 03-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

You can do it that way. My DD had a Dresden Plate quilt I made her. That's how I attached them. She has washed it a number of time with no problem.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:01 PM

yes it will work post it when you done i want to see it

mema
Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by memathomas
i see what you are doing check your machine it may have an applique stitch on it there are two or three applique stitches you can use if not the one u used is close enough go to u tube and see the Eleanor Buns method of applique. i will try to explain. place you kaleidoscope face down on muslin or very light fabric some people use the dryer sheets after there wash sew almost all the way around it leave a place open so u can turn it right side out and the edge is Finnish then u can sew it to your block. does that make sense to you? i hope i wasn't too long winded hope that helps' your project is nice.
mema
Yes, that makes perfect sense! Thank you so very much. I will post pictures.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:00 PM

Hi Danmar,

I have done applique using the Eleanor Burns method. If you sew the blade onto lightweight fusible web, you can fuse it down on your background fabric after you turn it.
Then you might want to use a blanket stitch along the edges. This worked very well for me.