Old 03-09-2010, 06:03 PM
danmar

Ok! I know that many of you have surely done this, whatever it is called. (Maybe Applique???) I've never done applique so I don't know if this is what that is. Here's the problem.

I am trying to learn to do the Kaleidoscopes. If you've seen my posted topic "I got new templates today" then you've seen what I'm trying to make. On the rounded edge Rhonda told me to turn it under 1/4" and baste it before sewing the blades together.

Well, I'm having a problem doing that. I even sewed a basting line on the blade 1/4" from the rounded edge to turn/fold on but it's just not working out for me. I tried 4 times! So I had a different idea. One that would eliminate having to do that.

I have some of that Heat n Bond paper that doesn't usually work very well, at least for me. I cut 1/4" strips of it and bonded the "Fake" Kaleidoscope to the background fabric.
Then, I zig-zagged around the edge. If this would work then I could Stitch in the Ditch on the blade seams and it would be finished.

My question is, if I zig-zag around the edge of a Kaleidoscope, as I did in red on my Fake one, will it fray out or come undone when it is washed. I got to close to the top edge so just ignore that. I'd appreciate any ideas or thoughts that you have on the subject. To me, it seems like it should work fine but I've never done it so I don't know for sure. Thanks alot in advance for your help. I really appreciate it.

My "Fake" that I zig-zagged around
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3512[/ATTACH]

How the real one would look
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3515[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-3512.jpe   attachment-3515.jpe