Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I should know this. >

I should know this.

I should know this.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
BTW, a pet peeve of mine, I shouldn't really mention, but I'm feeling evil today - it's "selvage", or "selvedge" (British version), not "salvage". I've heard even quilt store owners call it salvage, but that's the act of saving a ship or its cargo, or a term referring to the remaining value of a car after it's been wrecked. Selvage means "self edge", the self-finished edges of fabric. Ok, off my soap box. Hope I didn't offend anyone.
OOPS! You are so right...can only plead exhaustion, trying to get a bunch of quilting for customers finished before I have to head south! Maybe I need to be salvaged cuz I feel like I'm way under!!! :oops:
Old 01-10-2011, 08:34 PM

I agree that square footage is not a reliable way to calculate your needs. What I do is figure the size of the block and how many I can get into 40", from there figure out how long a piece I need, and then add either rounding it up to the next meter, or half depending on how important that fabric is in the project. There is not much worse than running out of a feature fabric and not being able to get more.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:02 AM

That's what I do too.

Originally Posted by tjradj
I agree that square footage is not a reliable way to calculate your needs. What I do is figure the size of the block and how many I can get into 40", from there figure out how long a piece I need, and then add either rounding it up to the next meter, or half depending on how important that fabric is in the project. There is not much worse than running out of a feature fabric and not being able to get more.