Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I stand corrected... >

I stand corrected...

I stand corrected...

Old 03-27-2011, 12:05 PM

I'm not arguing with anyone, but I was taught that the "sashing" was the inside narrow border and/or spaces between blocks. People use sashing to frame a fussy-cut to separate it from the crowd of other fussy-cut pieces. The entire quilt is then framed with shashing before the final border is applied.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:18 PM

I send you my blessings! Seems there is always one in the group. I went through this several years ago.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

It must have been a very trying experience, but look at the great story you got out of it! And I've enjoyed reading everyone else's stories, as well... Good for some laughs! Let me guess that this lady is getting up in years? Lots of older people blurt out any kind of hurtful, opinionated thing, thinking they can say anything because of their age. Let's all try to remember that, because it's where every one of us is heading, should we last that long.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

And just out of curiosity, why was she there for the meeting, if she wasn't a quilter? Just nosy?
Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 PM

Reminds me of a gal at my church, where I taught various quilt classes for years. "Jane" (not her name), was not a quilter, but always knew better or more than me. And she knew that she had more fabric than I did (she had a closet with fabric on the shelves - I have a room + full of fabrics). And then she bought in a quilt top that she got for free and wanted all of us to help her hand quilt it.... for free. I was VERY happy when she stopped coming. (we never did help her finish that quilt - can you imagine what THAT would have been like?)

Yes, gotta love the church groups. And did I mention I'm a church secretary? We always say that the people drive us crazy, the job doesn't pay well, but the retirement benefits are "heavenly". LOL
Old 03-27-2011, 02:36 PM

My husband and I work with a lot of machines and with each machine the names for stitches vary by manufacturer(if they name them at all)- you wouldn't believe the down right threats we have received from total strangers who claim we are misrepresenting a stitch or what a machine is capable of because they never did that- usually followed up with' I should know because...' For every name there is for something, there are at least two more- not to mention if you travel around the country or to another country. Next time tell her 'the space below the thingy' and see if she can argue that- look in the thesaurus and find a few more words so you can just keep rambling- be sure to look up a few in French or Russian to really keep her off balance.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
be sure to look up a few in French or Russian to really keep her off balance.
BWAHAHAHAHA!
This is SO what I should do for the next time I am in this sort of situation
Old 03-27-2011, 03:42 PM

you have patience, because that conversation lasted a lot longer than it would have if it was me talking to her !!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by penski
you have patience, because that conversation lasted a lot longer than it would have if it was me talking to her !!!!
Ditto!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:46 PM

That's hilarious!!! You held up well!!