Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I need a serger >

I think I need a serger

I think I need a serger

Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 AM

I can't live without my serger when I sew for everything from A to Z. They leave such a beautiful sturdy edge. I would recommend one definitely. You'll fall in love with it.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 AM

I love my Janome serger and have had it for many years. If it ever wears out (which I doubt), I will definitely replace it, but with a self-threading one. It's a bear to rethread, but I just cut the threads off of the color that I am using, tie the ends of the new color to them and pull it through. That's easy enough, but to completely rethread is truly a job.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:09 PM

Like all the other answers, I love my Babylock with the air threading. I use mine for making slipcovers, pillows, curtains, hemming prom dresses for Cinderella's closet every year, cover-stitch hemming my vertically challenged DD's sleeves and exercise-type pants. And yes, I have even made some simple project Linus quilts on it. Just this morning, on Fons and Porter, they demonstrated making a Drunkard's Path quilt block using a serger for those curves. It looked so easy that it's now on my quilt bucket list.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:17 AM

I just bought my first Babylock serger in October. Made a serged quilt at the class. Now using for all my quilts and bags I made for Christmas. Wonderful for fabric that frays.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
You can piece by serger, there are some books out on doing so. Seams are bulkier, though. If the seams are in something like clothes, then a serger is great. I use a standard sweatshirt pattern, make a quilt top big enough for front and back, line it with flannel and finish with lightweight muslin. The inside seams get serged and so does the ribbing on the neck and sleeves. Looks much better.

Serged overedge can be snagged or cut by careless user. Usually just serge over fixes.

All kinds of sergers around. I'd go look at every dealer you have available, and check on how the serger threads. Some older ones can be a real pain. The self threaders (All Babylock) are very nice, but more expensive. Since I also make a lot of clothes, getting one was worth it.

My long arm person HATES serged pieced quilt tops. Check with your long arm quilter to see if they are ok with it. Seam allowances are bulkier when serged.

I do serge the edge of my quilt tops.

Sandy
Old 01-13-2013, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by snow View Post
I have a brother 1034D and I just love it easy to thread and use it does everything I need it to do had it for 3yrs. now no problems.
I hear nothing but great things about this serger. I paid $900 for my Janome 1100d serger and while I love it, I dont use it often so I should have saved some $$$ and purchased the 1034. I bought my serger at the Houston show and I did look at other vendors but the Brother dealer did not have the 1034 at the show, i did not like the Project Runway one they did demonstrate. Too big of a table that came with it.

For a couple of hundred $ more I stayed with my favorite brand, Janome. Smooth, easy to thread. I really need to spend the day with it soon. My Janome 9700 just needs to learn to share me!

Sandy
Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 AM

I agree, my two daughters gave me the Brother 1034D for Christmas this year and so far i have not had any problems with it. I read my manual and the serger book that my daughters also purchased with the machine. I sure I still have a lot to learn but I love it. I have not done much with my serger but fixed towels and wash cloths that had started to fray. I look forward to using it more.

Last edited by sonisew; 01-13-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I recently got the Brother 1034D and have been very pleased with it. I haven't made a serger quilt, but used it for a quilted bag and have made a bunch of pajama pants for the family. I know it would be nice to have the $5000 self threading one, but this was in the $200 range and so far no regrets.
I agree, my two daughters gave me the Brother 1034D for Christmas this year and so far i have not had any problems with it. I read my manual and the serger book that my daughters also purchased with the machine. I sure I still have a lot to learn but I love it. I have not done much with my serger but fixed towels and wash cloths that had started to fray. I look forward to using it more.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Spudgm View Post
I have had a serger for 30+ years and love it. My first one still works but I can no longer thread it, I do not see well enough and my fingers do not work well enough to thread it. They are a lot of fun to use, but as someone else said I would go and try them out and see what you need. There is no sense paying for features you do not need. Good luck and have fun.
Did you ever have to have the cutting blades replaced?