Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I need a serger >

I think I need a serger

I think I need a serger

Old 01-12-2013, 05:05 AM

I never thought I needed or would use one, but when one came up (new in box) on craigslist for pennies on the dollar, I jumped on it...so glad I did. Now I don't know how I ever sewed with it! I use it to finish those floaty sheer butterfly blouses. It gives such a nice finished edge and no fraying!!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:49 AM

I serge all of my fabric just prior to prewashing. That way I have no raveling, no strings, etc. If I have fabric in my stash that is not serged, then I know it has not been prewashed.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:52 AM

I have owned a serger for longer than I care to admit & absolutely would not like to live without one. I started with a pretty basic one & have upgraded over the years. I now own a Babylock with air threading & that means it almost threads itself. If you have had bad experiences with threading a serger, than a Babylock with air threading is a gift from heaven. Even with using tie on methods etc., air threading is an absolute joy to use, IMHO!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:56 AM

I am on my third serger which is a Babylock Imagine with air threading. Love it! The previous one was a 5 thread machine Pfaff coverlock....loved it. But I no longer make clothes as much as I used to, so I gave it to my DIL. I use my serger for piecing the backings, flatlocking pieces of batting together,finishing off the edges when I cut up old white t-shirts for dish/dusting cloths, etc. I did use it in piecing a quilt once, and yes, serging can add bulk to the seams. I may try it on a flannel project and see what happens.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:57 AM

I had a serger that caused me grief for many years and then went shopping and came home with an Imagine Babylock and felt like I had died and gone to serger heaven!! Love it! Just helped a coworker make a quilt out of her hubbys jeans and we did it on the serger. Worked very nicely. I use my serger often and wouldn't want to be without it. Agree with all the ladies there are many uses for a serger.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:20 AM

I have had a serger for years and years!! It is a wonderful machine to use for a variety of jobs. I use mine for finishing the edges of my quilts before binding. Makes it so much easier and it's quick too. There are a great variety of machines and prices, just be sure and get one where they offer classes. As this will be your first one, you will definately need the classes to understand how they work! Have fun.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:30 AM
Banned

I tried doing this but I had WAYYYYYYYYYYYY to much fabric
and it was to time comsuming so I stopped after about 3 loads
washed.

Originally Posted by ranbro View Post
I serge all of my fabric just prior to prewashing. That way I have no raveling, no strings, etc. If I have fabric in my stash that is not serged, then I know it has not been prewashed.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 AM

I have a serger (actually 2). I have a White serger that was my mom's (mostly metal) that I have threaded with beige thread and my 1994 Bernina that is mine with black thread. I use it to do the edges on pillows I make for my DD and I do know Nancy Zieman has a video on using a serger when you quilt. I use it for tablecloths, napkins, don't make many clothes any more.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by zennia View Post
I just use the overcast stitch on my sewing machine and it works fine.
I thought about a Serger but my elna's have a overlock stitch and foot and it does a wonderful job to stitch the quilt before binding. I now do all my quilts with an overlock edge, makes it a much more stabilized edge for binding, gets perfect corners
Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 AM

The best way I know to explain it is what was told me way back in 1993. Other than finishing seams, it is hard to define what they do, but once you have one and use it, you will always wish you had gotten it sooner. I don't always use mine for quilting, but I love it for all the things it does do.
Judy