Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I've lost my marbles

Sewnoma, sanity is highly overrated. Go for it! Love that fabric and bet it will be a gorgeous S&W.

Love that fabric!! Your quilt is gonna be fantastic! Looking forward to seeing it finished!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    I haven't made A OBW but want to. I've seen this fabric at JoAnns and thought the same thing - OBW.
    Joyce

Love that fabric! Didn't get enough to do a OBW so if they still have it guess what I'm going to do. . .

Sengell - the criteria I use for fabric for OBW is fairly large print with interesting variety of colors and shapes without excessive expanses of background color.
    Tropical prints and many of the "oriental" prints work very well.
    Last edited by mom-6; 03-05-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Although I cut my pieces out at random, I also had a mirrow book I used. My friend bought two dollar store mirrows and taped them together like a book. We then had a blast looking at all the material with our 'kalidiscope'.
    Let God be your quilt and wrap you in His loving care.

I've worked with that exact fabric for this exact purpose! Well, it was a lap-sized quilt that I worked on with a friend, but I'm no stranger to OBW. I'm currently using that fabric to make some OBW potholders to sell. It's really fabulous when you put the blocks together. We were worried about the complexity and hard lines, but if you're careful and precise, it really comes out wonderfully. Have fun!
    - Kim

kimkolbquilts.etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    I made a stack-n-whack (OBW?) quilt for my sister for Christmas and swore I would NEVER DO ONE AGAIN. It turned out pretty good (and she loved it) but the work involved just killed me and I wanted to just throw it all away at least twice.

So, being that I'm crazy, I've decided that since I resolved to put a quilt into the local county fair this year, I would (for some reason) need to do another dang kaleidoscope quilt and enter THAT.

Glutton for punishment. That's what I am. And crazy.

Here's the fabric I've decided to use...Attachment 399923 It's from JoAnns, it's Legacy Studio brand, called "Polynesian Master Medallions". Lovely bright colors with metallic edging...really eye popping. I hope it looks OK in the quilt and not too busy!

Right now my sewing room is packed full of furniture (we're having flooring installed all over the rest of the house) so I can only think and plan but I'm actually pretty excited about getting started on this. For a change I have ZERO UFO's but I will probably start a couple simple quilts too because I know I won't be able to grind away on this quilt without a distraction without losing whatever small grasp I have left on my sanity!
    Love, love, love your fabric choice! The quilt will be fantastic.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by sengell View Post
    How do you decide what fabric would be good for a stack and whack......I have never made one!
    Fabric exactly like this-----------with various figures and various colors. This is bound to be in the "stunning" quilt collection when it's done
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I haven't done a OBW so I don't know how hard they are, but a stacked 4 patch is very easy and fun. You just stack 4 repeats, and then cut squares and then sew them into a 4 patch. Love your fabric choice.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast