Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I tried stippling - and FAILED >

I tried stippling - and FAILED

I tried stippling - and FAILED

Old 02-15-2011, 07:05 PM

I tried stippling for the first time, on my regular machine. It is VERY difficult. I have little jagged corners here and there, not the smooth speciman that I see here. Only one small bulgy thing on the back. So I have this crib quilt (from scraps) half done and I'm now in a delima to finish it and give it to a humanitarian effort for poor countries, pick it out and do a regular quilting job (even tying would be better!). My husband says to not waste any more effort to pick it out, and let it be a learning experience. But I really hate to say I failed.

So what do you do with learner projects? Does it bug you when it is not gift quality? How can I get better if I don't have these little steps first?

And how can I make it better.

Sorry, no photos. It's too terrible. :(
Old 02-15-2011, 07:14 PM

Gosh,Sarah, I have no doubt we all have projects that we chalk up to a "learning experience". Stippling does take practice and patience but please don't give up!!! Try making a few practice "sandwishes" say cut some 12" squares and place batting between them and just practice - in time you'll see your stitches improve. I've also found it helpful to make sure your quilt is supported on all sides so that there is no "drag". Please don't give up - in time you'll be smiling as you stipple away :) >>
Old 02-15-2011, 07:15 PM

Hi,

Stippling gets easier. Practice on two pieces of muslin sandwiched with batting. I did this and it made a huge difference; it gave my arms and mind the rhythm and it also provided me the opportunity to ensure my tension was accurate. Also, the type of foot you use will make a difference.

Good luck. And remember, you can always do stitch in the ditch or 1/4" from the seams. :)
Old 02-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

I have best results by turning my machine ¼ turn. It looks odd but I have more control of the fabric. It's worth a try:)
Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 PM

So many of you have had learning failures too? I didn't expect it to be perfect, but I had a disaster. I'im glad it was just scraps, even tho it was sewn into a scrappy crib quilt.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:44 PM

I am still learning to stipple. It is very frustrating!! I have been making doll quilts out of scraps and giving them to my daughters to play with. The quilting is not very pretty. Do not give up keep trying!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 PM

I am right there with you. Any type of free motion quilting, or stippling, that I do looks horrible. I just can't get the tension right. I have Singer 301 and keep hoping to get is serviced and try it. So many board members love to FMQ on the 301 and it seems to do really well for them.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 PM

I have a pair of "Machingers" they are lite weight, rubber tipped gloves designed for machine quiters.There made by Quilters Touch, They realy help you move your project. I also use my quilting foot. My stipple is not show quality but its getting better every time, I do it on table runners
and other small projects.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 PM

I never even quilted the first few I did. *gasp* But I honestly didn't know you had too. The people who got them didn't care or notice either way. Press on and finish it, even if it doesn't meet your standards.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:02 PM

I got my FM foot in the mail today. Of course I gave it a shot - just a 12" practice sandwich. Total disaster - I did make a star that turned out...ok...but my tension is way off. So I have a plan...I'm in the midst of a top for a quilt for my daughter for her twin bed. I know it's a big quilt to be using for FMQ practice, but I figure this way I'll get LOTS of it. It won't be pretty...but she won't care - she's 5. I have a customer quilt coming up, I won't be doing any FMQ on that one, lol. After that I'm going to make a few baby quilts for the Children's hospital and use them for practice too...they probably won't be pretty, either. Buuuut, you gotta start somewhere, right?