Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'd like some help, please >

I'd like some help, please

I'd like some help, please

Old 07-30-2010, 05:37 PM

I have a Janome P1600 GBX quilting machine. I have been having trouble with the thread breaking on top and looking frayed and tasseled. Also some skipping of stitches. I had my service man come in and he was unable to find the source of the problem. He oiled and cleaned it. He did a tune up and even put in a new hook. He took apart several areas and checked them too. We changed thread several times and needles and brands of needles. He also tried a new bobbin holder. The machine is just 3 years old.
Has anyone had a similar problem or a solution for me?
My next move will be to take it in and see if someone else might find the problem.
I've been reading The Message Board for several weeks now and have learned a lot.
Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.
immeme
Old 07-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

I wonder if there could be a piece of thread hiding somewhere that he missed? I don't have this machine but I have machines that are like it.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

I just wanted to Welcome you. Hope you can find the problem!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:53 PM

Be sure the needle is in properly. I have any old machine that would not pick up the bobbin thread. I fretted for months over that. I called the repairman to make an appointment and he told me to check my needle. The needles for this machine is round on the top. I didn't know that there is a right way and wrong way to put it in. There is. This machine the groove faces left. I changed the needle and the machine is good as new. I didn't have to pay for a service call, either.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:57 PM

Yes, my needle is round too but that wasn't the problem.I've already done that wrong before and got a "lesson" on how to put it in. If he missed a piece of thread I don't know how. He took it apart 4 different times and blew it out with that canned air. But I will check again, what do I have to lose?
Thanks for the help.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:18 PM

A small piece of thread or lint caught in the tension disk caused me nightmares one time. I took mine in to the dealer and he found it. I never dreamed something so small could cause so many problems.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:23 PM

I'll check it again too but he took out the whole tension knob. Is that what you're referring too?
Thanks,
Immeme
Old 07-30-2010, 06:27 PM

SOMETIMES IT IS THE THREAD OR THE SIZE OF THE NEEDLE YOU USE WITH THE THREAD. ALSO CHECK THE TENSION, WORK WITH IT SOMETIMES IT IS TO TIGHT. WHEN YOU ARE WORKING WITH LAYERS YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THE TENSION. ALSO THE THREAD. GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:39 PM

YOU MIGHT HAVE TO CHANGE THE TENSION, IF YOU ARE WORKING WITH LAYERS YOUR TENSION MAY HAVE TO BE CHANGED. THIS ALSO APPLIES TO THE THREAD, YOU MAY HAVE TO CHANGE THE THREAD OR THE NEEDLE TO SUIT THE TYPE OF THREAD YOU ARE USING. SPEED ALSO HAS TO DO ALOT WITH THE THREAD BREAKING. YOU HAVE TO GET THE RIGHT SPEED ON OUR QUILTING. GOING TO FAST CAN BREAK THE THREAD OR GOING TO SLOW. JUST ORK WITH THE SPEED AND KEEP IT STEADY. I FIND THAT THIS HELPS ME.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Friendly Quilter,I am going to try that next time I can get to my machine.