Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for a king size quilt for my son's wedding

Ideas for a king size quilt for my son's wedding

I need to make a quilt for my son and daughter-in-law by late spring. They want it the color of their wedding which is navy, pink and gray tones. I don't want to do a wedding ring quilt. I need something that works up easily but distinctive. I have a million patterns but now when push comes to shove, I cannot make a decision. I wish I could see a quilt in these colors... Any ideas, suggestions to make my decision will be helpful. Thank you.

One of my favorites....Labyrinth --- you can make an enlarged center then work other patterns/borders around it to get to your king size.
    Gray is really big now - and pinks and grays are great together....so adding in the navy(s) - you should be able to get a really striking quilt no matter what pattern you finally decide on.
    Very best of luck !!! and congratulations new the couple !!
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Thought i had a photo of the last one i made Name:  Daniels quilt.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  289.1 KB
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Blog Entries
    buy fabs in those colors and do a diss. nine patch. comes out great, and you can use a lot of colors
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I am just finishing up a wedding quilt for my son and future DIL. I did a large chevron in black and white with one row of yellow. Used a yellow/black print on the back. It's very fresh looking.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    How about Scrappy Mountain Majesties from Bonnie Hunter? It looks quick and simple, use many fabrics in those colours, several shades of pink, grey and white/off whites.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com.au/20...majesties.html

hi, I recently finished a wedding quilt for my DD, which the happy couple really loved. I wouldn't recommend the pattern I used as a quick or easy one, but the whole idea went down really well at the wedding. Basically I took some pre-cut fabric pieces along to the wedding, and asked all the day-guests to sign a message for the couple onto the fabric. These pieces were then put into the quilt. The guests had a ball writing their designs, some almost competing with each other to draw the best pictures on their hexagon!

The colours used were based on the colours of the bridesmaids' dresses, along with the mothers of the bride and groom.

Doing this does mean that the quilt would not be ready for the day itself, but the couple loved being able to revisit the memories a couple of months later when the quilt was revealed.

DS will get something similar made should he ever do the deed, but his will be a DP9 (as suggested above), with the guests signing on the four un-cut corner patches.

You could perhaps use a pale grey for these four corners, and get them signed up by guests too.

Name:  wee inspection.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  151.8 KB

Cheers, K

Quote Originally Posted by Siodach View Post
    hi, I recently finished a wedding quilt for my DD, which the happy couple really loved. I wouldn't recommend the pattern I used as a quick or easy one, but the whole idea went down really well at the wedding. Basically I took some pre-cut fabric pieces along to the wedding, and asked all the day-guests to sign a message for the couple onto the fabric. These pieces were then put into the quilt. The guests had a ball writing their designs, some almost competing with each other to draw the best pictures on their hexagon!

The colours used were based on the colours of the bridesmaids' dresses, along with the mothers of the bride and groom.

Doing this does mean that the quilt would not be ready for the day itself, but the couple loved being able to revisit the memories a couple of months later when the quilt was revealed.

DS will get something similar made should he ever do the deed, but his will be a DP9 (as suggested above), with the guests signing on the four un-cut corner patches.

You could perhaps use a pale grey for these four corners, and get them signed up by guests too.

Name:  wee inspection.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  151.8 KB

Cheers, K
    What a lovely idea and such a beautiful quilt

A number of people here have made the "From This Moment" wedding quilt pattern. I plan to make one for my grandson's wedding, later this year. It doesn't look too hard, but it's a beautiful! http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilt...ng-quilt/58517

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  869.5 KB

This quilt is rather involved, because the blocks have lots of pieces, but it imitates the curves that we all love in the DWR with all straight piecing. These are just blocks, but you get the idea of what the whole quilt will look like. I first saw it on F & P. Liz Porter made one for her daughter's wedding quilt, and we are working on one for our niece's wedding quilt. I think it would look nice in a "controlled scrappy" using your colors. Let us know what you decide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast