Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ideas please??!? >

ideas please??!?

ideas please??!?

Old 02-19-2014, 03:28 PM

Gail B that's awesome! Think 3 shades of denim and 5 different batiks would give enough variety?? I found some tutorials on YouTube doesn't look too hard to do the crazy quilting
Old 02-19-2014, 10:03 PM

crazy quilt blocks are fairly easy. that jacket is terrific. don't know that i would try denim in my first jacket, i'd probably use the same weights for the first, then you'd know if denim was going to work for your second. denim can be a pain to work with sometimes. though sometimes you can take a hammer and flatten thick seams. makes it easier to sew hems and such.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:29 AM
Power Poster

Crazy quilt blocks would look great. As it is denim, don't forget a more generous than 1/4 seam allowance and keep it as flat as you can. Light weight denim will work better than heavy weight.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by DawnS View Post
Hi! I'm doing a jacket class and I have to bring my fabric cut, pieced and quilted to the class. We will then cut out the front, back, sleeves and pockets. The example I saw at the shop used strip of different lengths running vertical on the jacket. Please- what ideas do you have for piecing, other than strips? I'm using material from my kids old jeans and some blue batiks- at least that is the current plan. Thanks in advance. I get so many great ideas from this board!
I've made several quilted jackets - mostly the ones on a sweatshirt base, and never have worn any of them because they are so uncomfortable. So my advise would be to stay away from the denim fabric, as it will get even stiffer when it's quilted. You can do any kind of design and then just cut what you need. I imagine strips are just easier to explain to beginning quilters for a jacket.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:06 AM

If you google sweatshirt jackets you can see lots and lots of jackets. They will certainly give you lots of ideas. I just finished one that is a bargello idea. I think denim might be pretty heavy but you might consider adding some other fabrics to it.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:09 AM

I used to do simple jackets using denim and corduroy, all cut into squares and put together checkerboard style. I did not like the way they worked out onto a sweatshirt, so I cut the pieces from my patchwork as though it were regular fabric. I made the patchwork with my serger so the seams would not ravel, and some of the seaming also. I thought they worked out okay, and I used bits of lace, buttons, and other trims to add a little sparkle. Needless to say, my daughter's jackets were not like anyone else's, and they were pretty easy to find if she left them at school somewhere. I think using your denim and batiks will work well. You might want to make sure all the seams are pressed toward the denim to ease the thickness of your seams. Good luck!!
Old 02-20-2014, 06:51 AM

Gail B! I love your jacket. Great job and it looks wonderful on you.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:53 AM

After reading all of these great tips, I think that if I were you I would do fabric for this class and see what the instructor has in mind. (It will be much easier than denim.) After taking the class, you may want to do denim. At least you will know the "ups" and "downs". Good luck and have a great time!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:56 AM

If I was using denim, I think I'd do the seams rag quilt style on the right side of the fabric and just use a nice flannel for the batting/backing. Denim is stiff anyway, and quilting would just make it stiffer (and heavier). Mixing the denim and batiks might be difficult, since the weight and thickness of the fabrics is so different.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:24 AM

In craft class we made patchwork jackets using over sized, pull over sweatshirts for the lining. We cut off the seams, and all of the ribbing, then cut the front in half down the front. We sewed the patchwork pieces together in strips, then sew, starting in center back and working out to the sides, onto the sweatshirt pieces, so basic quilting was not needed. We then trimmed around the pieces, and sewed the sweatshirts together and put a small binding down the front, sleeves, neck, and bottom. We sewed bias tape around arm holes. They were very nice. One lady used soft pastels using light blue as the basic color. It was beautiful. Just the right weight for Florida winter.