Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas Please!! >

Ideas Please!!

Ideas Please!!

Old 01-21-2017, 09:39 AM

Default Ideas Please!!

I have a Layer Cake of Kaffe Collective Spicy Palette. It is so wonderful, I hate to cut it up, and I have not a clue what pattern to use to showcase this colorful display. Please, any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2017, 10:04 AM
RST

I can't find a photo at the moment, but I made a quilt using a layer cake of Kaffe and some strips of black batik. I randomly cut across each 10 inch square, sometimes at an angle, sometimes at right angles, and i inserted a 1.5 inch of black. I then arranged the blocks with alternating orientations of the black line. I did it without a border, and a black binding. It was a simple and quick quilt, and it really put the focus on the beautiful color interactions of the fabric prints.

If I find a pic, I'll post.

You can always take a look at the eye candy books of Kaffe quilts-- our library carries his books. Online, there is a blogger "Exuberant Color" who works with a lot of kaffe fabrics and has a great eye for design-- you could check out her blog and photo albums for inspiration.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

A BQ quilt is a good choice to leave large blocks to showcase a fabric. It is by Maple Island quilts on line.

http://mapleislandquilts.com/miq-patterns/bq-nation/
Old 01-21-2017, 01:49 PM

what about the pattern "Uptown Girl" where you leave your 10" sq. intact and use sashing to set apart?
Old 01-21-2017, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
I can't find a photo at the moment, but I made a quilt using a layer cake of Kaffe and some strips of black batik. I randomly cut across each 10 inch square, sometimes at an angle, sometimes at right angles, and i inserted a 1.5 inch of black. I then arranged the blocks with alternating orientations of the black line. I did it without a border, and a black binding. It was a simple and quick quilt, and it really put the focus on the beautiful color interactions of the fabric prints.

If I find a pic, I'll post.

You can always take a look at the eye candy books of Kaffe quilts-- our library carries his books. Online, there is a blogger "Exuberant Color" who works with a lot of kaffe fabrics and has a great eye for design-- you could check out her blog and photo albums for inspiration.
I agree about having a look at his books. I've done three quilts using his fabrics, and always used patterns from his books. They seem to be designed to highlight and bring out the very best of his gorgeous fabrics.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:56 AM

What about a "lattice" quilt pattern? I saw Jenny Doan do this pattern and you just cut the squares in half and put in a small sashing. This way you don't lose the beauty of your fabrics.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:03 AM

Jenny Doan used a Kaffe layer cake (10" squares) to make the Sashed Half Hexie quilt. There is a video at MSQC and on YouTube and the pattern is in vol 3 issue2 of their Block magazine. It looks like a stained glass quilt. Her half hexie template fits the layer cake and makes it easy to cut. I have all the "stuff" just haven't had time to make it yet.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 AM

A Pegs quilt would work
Old 01-23-2017, 08:53 AM

Here's a pattern you might like - - -

file:///C:/Users/jreyn/Downloads/Ruby%20Squares%20+%20BONUS%20Pattern.pdf

It's called Ruby Squares and It's layer cake friendly. Can't remember where I found this pattern, but it's on my list of projects to make.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:05 AM

Maybe a picture might help - - -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566515[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ruby-square-image.jpg