Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ideas for quilt pattern please.

Ideas for quilt pattern please.

I'm looking for suggestions for a quilt pattern for a western quilt that will not loose the patterns of the boots/hats/saddles like a log cabin pattern would.
    I posted before but with this new format, not sure if it got posted so am trying again.
    Thanks, Barbara

How about a combo of blocks. Mix up a simple 9 patch block with plain blocks......
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

How about the BQ pattern from Maple Island quilts? You have quite a large square of focus fabric in it.

The only thing I can really think of is applique....Unless you have southwest fabrics then I would suggest a motion pattern type quilt because the southwest can be busy. Pinwheels, or stars within stars. Southwest can be done in so many different motifs...the old west or the southwest aquas and peaches...love pics of the fabric. I grew up in NM so my idea might be different....Hope that helps and great luck I've seen some beautiful quilts in NM
    *Rachel*

You can make a DNP block with the focus fabric in the corners. When you cut them apart, just switch the bottom left with the top right. This leaves the focus fabric intact and does not change the direction of the fabric motif.

If you are using directional fabric, D9P can get tricky. I have a lovely D9P with 2 directional fabrics and the wheat goes one way and the chickens go another, and they were all in the same direction when they were just a 9P. I would make a sample block first just to make sure you end up with your block looking the way you want, no matter which pattern you choose to go with. The 9P, 4P, big block combo would be easiest and you wouldn't have as much trouble keeping the directional fabric going the right way.

Warm wishes is a great pattern for fussy cuts http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/d....html?idx=5185_
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Here is a link to the Oklahoma Centenial quilt which used cowboy themed quilt for some of the blocks. http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=1285
    Hope it will give you some ideas.