Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pattern ideas, help, please

Talking Pattern ideas, help, please

So, I bought this fabric because I fell in love with it, and bought the black to hopefully go with it. Now I want to make a twin quilt for my spare room/sewing room. I have made so many scrappy quilts, and used lots of my stash. Have made too many pinwheels. What I would like are ideas for patterns using just these two colors. Or do they even go together? What else does the mix need? This is one of my many weak points, knowing what will work together. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scroll down on this site. There is a free pattern for a black and white quilt. Those fabrics would be very nice.

A hunter's star would be pretty. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ck-t74258.html

A carpenter's wheel would also look nice, but would probably need white as a background fabric. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...t-t152544.html

They look very nice together!

If you wanted to add a third fabric (which isn't at all necessary), one idea would be a very light background fabric with either or both of your colors in it, or else one that is midway between the two.

A friendship star would be very pretty with your fabrics, as would either of the previous suggestions.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

Blog Entries
    Personally, I think the blue (a cool color) would benefit from a pink (warm color) to create contrast and some visual warmth in the quilt. I would use the black as sashing, backing and binding. I think the black could be paired with a warm color such as pink in equal amounts and come out just fine. I do not think the black pairs well in equal amounts with the blue -- too cold.

I would probably also strive for more difference in scale between whatever 2 major fabrics you use. The pattern and scale on these is similar.

Hmmm - maybe a Bento Box would look good done in only two colors.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

day and night or hunters star would be my choice

I did a two color quilt. Let me see if I can find a picture. It might work for you. It wasn't a purchased pattern, just a rail fence block and a 9 patch, each set on point. I think there are several ways they could be arranged, but I liked this one. It may give you some ideas?

Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think you need a 3rd color, maybe something in a light shade of blue, a cream or as someone suggested a pale pink.
    It also depends on what type of quilt you want, busy, bright, quiet? As for the pattern maybe a star as it looks to me there might be a little star in the fabrics. .

Dina, that is a wonderful use of two colors. I can picture it done so many ways. Right now I am into scrap quilts.

That is a beautiful two color quilt, love the contrast there!

Wow, in no time flat I have answers to my questions. Instructions, pictures, tutes. I do have to agree, I may need one more color. Will have to think on that. Thanks, everyone!

Blog Entries
    I share your lack of confidence about what goes well together, but I think they go just fine!

If they were mine I would add another patterned fabric with those two colours in it, but with a pale background to give more contrast in whatever pattern you chose.

Please post pics!
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I did a two color quilt. Let me see if I can find a picture. It might work for you. It wasn't a purchased pattern, just a rail fence block and a 9 patch, each set on point. I think there are several ways they could be arranged, but I liked this one. It may give you some ideas?

Dina
    Oh I was going to suggest a simple 9 patch too! Yours looks great.
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca