Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for reasonably complex quilt >

Ideas for reasonably complex quilt

Ideas for reasonably complex quilt

Old 06-24-2016, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

I depends on what you think is challenging. I decided to make this quilt called New Leaves for a dear friend that has taken time to get me to the store for groceries. I found it very challenging with it taking almost two weeks to complete the piecing working on nothing else. I am waiting for cooler days to get the three sections pressed. So now I am back to making charity quilts.
Attached Thumbnails new-leaves-sections.jpg  
Old 06-24-2016, 05:58 AM

I think Bonnie Hunter's 'Orca Bay' is a fascinating pattern (lots of examples if you google). When I look at some of the photos, I see an illusion of intersecting circles, like ripples in a pool. But having looked at the pattern (in the book 'String Fling)', there isn't any unusual or advanced technique represented, it's just lots and lots of little pieces -- QSTs, HSTs, and string blocks.

edit

Lovely quilt there, ManiacQuilter2!

Last edited by joe'smom; 06-24-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:40 PM

Judy Niemeyer's quilts are very complex (Bali Star Wedding Ring, etc.), but they are foundation pieced, and you don't want to do tht.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:42 PM

Beautiful quilt, ManiacQuilter! I love how some leaf points are hidden under others. Is New Leaves an independently sold pattern, or one within a book?
Old 06-24-2016, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Judy Niemeyer's quilts are very complex (Bali Star Wedding Ring, etc.), but they are foundation pieced, and you don't want to do tht.
I may be the only one in the universe who doesn't really like her quilts that much. I've seen a few that I liked, but the ones with the super-duper razor thin points are not really my thing. It takes all kinds. For me, it may be that the quilting mags are over-saturated with them....I get tired of seeing them every time I turn the page.

Thank you for the idea.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:10 AM

Try to find "Hollow Cubes" quilt in Pictures. I would post a link, but don't know how to do that. It looks really complicated, but is easy if done in rows of half blocks.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:21 AM

I don't know if you would consider it fabric wasteful or not since most people PP it, but since it is repeat blocks you could be more fabric conservative w/ some planning. I love the storm at sea / snail trail combo. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...uilt&FORM=IGRE
Old 06-25-2016, 05:38 AM

The Aviatrix medallion quilt by Elizabeth Hartman would be one of my top choices. It's currently on my bucket list.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:39 AM

I would also say to check out Bonnie Hunter. She has beautiful complex quilts and many free patterns on her site.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:02 AM

How about an online mystery quilt

Or... Get a book with lots of blocks in it like....Around the Block by Judy Hopkins or Marsha McCloskey's Block Party. Choose a couple of blocks to put together that you haven't done before and just think they'll look good together. That's challenging and rotary cut.

Perhaps you could join in the fun with the Row by Row Experience going on right now and see what the shops have to offer. I'm finding most of the Row by Row patterns are appliqué but going into new shops is fun and they're all different and all have new ideas. Enticing quilters is their job, lol.

Have you seen the book Farm Girl Vintage by Lori Holt? I'm seeing some gorgeous quilts from that.