Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas or Suggestions Please >

Ideas or Suggestions Please

Ideas or Suggestions Please

Old 10-30-2013, 03:47 AM

Default Ideas or Suggestions Please

I would like to make a 50th Class Reunion quilt for our reunion silent auction, I will be donating this. I have time since it is Aug. 2014. I need ideas, suggestions, possible photos. Has anyone ever made something of this nature or similar? Any of your comments, ideas, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:12 AM

Do you have a yearbook? Can you scan any of the photos and print them out on fabric? Also, how about school colors - use them to make the quilt. What about a logo or mascot that you can duplicate on the quilt.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:22 AM

My first thought was the photos, then the mascot/logo. Or you could focus on the 50 year thing and do a 50 color quilt, or a 50 block quilt...or maybe you could contact the school and see if they have old uniforms, jerseys, costumes from any shows ect. Then make a quilt out of those!
Old 10-30-2013, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
Do you have a yearbook? Can you scan any of the photos and print them out on fabric? Also, how about school colors - use them to make the quilt. What about a logo or mascot that you can duplicate on the quilt.
I like your ideas alleyoop1. DITTO. Good Luck and let the creative juices flow !!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:07 PM

There are a few examples here, maybe they will give you an idea https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...uilts&tbm=isch
Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 PM

saw a quilt made like crossword puzzle.. school name, year ( 1959) said 50 years ... words like memories, friends... it was so cute and I used the idea for Great niece and grand kids t shirt quilt...one of my tshirt quilt on pictures page
Old 10-30-2013, 02:27 PM

Woody, thanks for the great link! There was a beautiful signature quilt posted in the last few days. There are many variations of the signature/autograph quilt. You could bring a few permanant pens and have those in attendance sign it before auctioning it off. OR...you could write the names of the class members so all could be included.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

I loved the ones shown here of crossword puzzles. very inventive.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:56 PM

The sky is the limit with that one! Since you mention Silent Auction I think you want broad appeal. I wouldn't do photos because people are vain and might not bid if they don't like how they looked! (I cringe at just about all my old school photos.)

I would try to tap into the emotion felt by the attendees and build on that. Most people who turn up probably liked the school so that's a good start! Did you have a school motto or a teacher who used a particular catchphrase that people may remember? I'm into poetry so might look for a short quote. If you are religious you might find a suitable quote from there. A few words appliqued onto a simple design in school colours could look great.