Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ideas and/or suggestions for a new quilt

I have a very special aunt who lives in another state and I would like to make her a lap quilt. She loves pansies and I thought I would run with that idea, but can't decide whether to use blocks with pansy fabric or create blocks to look like pansies. I considered using the hexagon from Grandmother's Flower Garden and either using pansy fabric as the petals or the color of pansies. Suggestions/ideas anyone?

Blog Entries
    How about a sampler? if you need help making the hex templates to end up with a square in exactly the right size to match the other blocks, let me know. i can name that tune in 1 note. :-)

also, i have a really nice paper-piecing pattern for a pansy. (say that 5 times fast. LOL) if you want it, send me a PM with your regular edress.

i can't say for absolutely sure, but if you can't find a free applique pattern for a pansy (or pansies) i might be able to make one of those for you, too.

Patrice I'd love to get a copy of your paper pieced pansy. Do you want email or snail mail address? I really appreciate the offer
    Vicki

There is an old pansy pattern that's appliqued and then blanket stitched around. It makes a lovely quilt block. Alternate them with some pansy fabrics. Oooh! I like it.

Right now I am open to all ideas. I'm not sure exactly what I am going to do, just know that I want to do something special for her.

Vicki,
    I understand about special aunts.

My sisters, sister-in-law and niece made a quilt for our aunt and uncle last year. We each made our blocks at home. Rules were, reproduction fabric and traditional blocks, any size. In the spring we got together and made our blocks fit together by adding *filler* blocks of nine patches, rail fences, four patches, etc. We took turns machine quilting on it. The quilt turned out wonderful. Our aunt and uncle were surprised and are still bragging about their quilt. :wink:

Bottom line is your aunt will love whatever you make her because you made it especially for her. Aunts are wonderful that way! :) Have fun with whatever you choose, it will show in the finished project as will your love for your aunt.

Vicki,
    Hi! I made a very dear friend of mine a quilt with pansy fabric. A three patch. She raved and raved about it. Then I found out that it matched some pillow cases her daughter had made her the year before. She said it was like one of us bought the fabric and mailed it to another, lol lol. Did I mention she was 89 years young and has sewn all her life but never made a quilt? She's a hoot and loves that little ole quilt. The love we share goes round and round, whether relative or friends.

Sharon

HERE IS A PANSY PATTERN

http://www.compuquilt.com/blockimg/1999Blocks/99SpringPansy.htm

Is this something that might work for you? Nice bright colors

I am soooo glad that I found all of you wonderful people :!: :D All of the suggestions and ides are wonderful and I can't wait to get started! Work gets in the way a whole lot though!
    thanks to everyone !
    Vicki

Blog Entries
    I am not now nor have I ever been great at math, so I need professional help with a math problem here.

I have embroidered 8" (plus seam allowances) squares for a baby quilt and I want to use those as my "big blocks" in a simple Irish chain pattern--either single or double. I know the other small blocks can be cut using the strip method and a rotary cutter, but just how wide should those strips be?

Someone please help me!

GramMER :roll: :(

I have embroidered 8" (plus seam allowances) squares for a baby quilt and I want to use those as my "big blocks" in a simple Irish chain pattern--either single or double. I know the other small blocks can be cut using the strip method and a rotary cutter, but just how wide should those strips be?
    Well GramMer, if I were you...I would add a border around those embroidered blocks to make them 9-1/2" total (so they finish at 9" when they are sewn together). Then, as I like the single Irish chain (good ol' 9 patches!), I would cut my strips at 3-1/2". then both blocks would be at 9-1/2" & ready to sew together! Does that sound reasonable?
    Good luck! :D

sue

Blog Entries
    Sue,

That really does sound reasonable. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Ready to go...

GramMER :D

Blog Entries
    Sue,

One more question for you or anyone else who has an interest in this:

The background cloth of the embroidered blocks is white. Should I make the border around them white or should I plan to put a 3 1/2" block in each corner of the border. I have seen that done and had no idea it might have been to adjust the fit. Would a little corner block distort the Irish Chain effect?

GramMER

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GramMER
    Sue,

One more question for you or anyone else who has an interest in this:

The background cloth of the embroidered blocks is white. Should I make the border around them white or should I plan to put a 3 1/2" block in each corner of the border. I have seen that done and had no idea it might have been to adjust the fit. Would a little corner block distort the Irish Chain effect?

GramMER
    if you put a 3.5" in block in the corners, won't that expand your finished block to 11" instead of 9? I'd either skip the corner squares or make them 1.5" (1" finished).

the white border would be more "irish chainy", but a border that uses a color from either the embroider or the companion 9 patches would make the embroidery stand out more. i'd make the color border/frame.

How about a log cabin pattern, using 3 inch strips to show off some pretty pansy fabrics, with solid pale yellow watercolor and purple watercolor fabrics for the solids in the cabin to pop the pansy fabrics that you choose. It could look spectacular in a lap size quilt.

jm in new york

Blog Entries
    You are absolutely right about the size of the block being wrong for the corner. See, I told you I was not good at math.

:lol:

GramMER

Blog Entries
    JM,

Are you suggesting this be used with the embroidered squares? That would be nice too. I will definitely have to consider it.

Every time I want pretty fabric, I have to look at:

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/

They send a catalog with each order and I could spend hours at a time just dreaming.

:wink:

GramMER

Blog Entries
    You are absolutely right about the size of the block being wrong for the corner. See, I told you I was not good at math.

:lol:

GramMER
    that's why i love graph paper and grid lines in computer programs. i don't have to do the math. i can see easily what fits and what doesn't.
    ;-)

there should be statues everywhere honoring the guy who invented erasers!

Blog Entries
    OK, somebody clue me in and help me find a source of computer programs that will calculate block size, strip width, yardage or or whatever... There probably is a program that could be downloaded if I just knew where to look.

One of my little granddaughters used to have a math game that used quilt blocks as the visual logic training. She absolutely loved testing blocks for size and shape. At the time I thought that was something I probably should have had. She could change colors, block sizes and experiment to her heart's content.

Am I on the right trail??? 8)

GramMER

Blog Entries
    OK, somebody clue me in and help me find a source of computer programs that will calculate block size, strip width, yardage or or whatever... There probably is a program that could be downloaded if I just knew where to look.

One of my little granddaughters used to have a math game that used quilt blocks as the visual logic training. She absolutely loved testing blocks for size and shape. At the time I thought that was something I probably should have had. She could change colors, block sizes and experiment to her heart's content.

Am I on the right trail??? 8)

GramMER
    Quilt 1-2-3 appears to do all that, but i don't think you can draw your own blocks. it comes with 500 blocks. doesn't seem to import additional block libraries. not bad for the price ($40), though. i tested it once. the only reason i didn't buy it was the inability to draw my own. you can test it free for up to 30 days.
    http://www.quiltpro.com/go.php?id=123Quilt

The description of Quilt-Pro doesn't say it estimates fabric requirements. However, it's from the same company and costs $100, so surely it must. sounds as though you can draw your own blocks.
    http://www.quiltpro.com/go.php?id=qp5

Quilt Soft ($50) has all the bells and whistles
    http://www.quiltsoft.com/winsoftw.html

PC Quilt ($50) looks pretty good for the price. you can download a demonstration copy. i've looked at this before but can't remember whether i liked it or not.
    http://www.pcquilt.com/MoreInfo.htm

Electric Quilt (between $80 and $150, depending on the version you buy) does everything except rake the yard. not as easy to learn as they say it is, but i'm having tons of fun with it. i can also say without hesitation that their customer support is fantastic!
    http://www.electricquilt.com/

There are 3-4 block ideas for a pansy block in BH&G 501 Quilt Blocks. DottieK

I have three versons of electric quilt. EQ 6 is really well worth the money.The video are fantastic for learning tools and the lesson book that comes with it really takes you thru all the steps. I'm having a great time scanning my fabrics and adding them to their extensive library and it's so easy. It tells you how much fabric you will need for your design and the block libraries is endless.

You have a paper piecing pattern for a pansy!!!!? My favorite...Tell me how to get in touch with you!
    Dr. Barbe

NAME THAT TUNE PLEASE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Barbara Kelly
    You have a paper piecing pattern for a pansy!!!!? My favorite...Tell me how to get in touch with you!
    Dr. Barbe
    http://piecebynumber.com/pastbom/archbom.htm#pansy

very generous copyright policy, by the way

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast