Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If one piece has been washed do I need to wash all?

Question If one piece has been washed do I need to wash all?

I purchased 2 yards of fabric from Etsy and I think it has been washed. It is kinda wrinkly and smells like fabric softener. I have not really unfolded it to check the cut edges.

If it has been washed do I need to wash all the fabric I use in the quilt? Or will it matter?

Blog Entries
    I try to either use all washed or all non-washed fabric in a project. Do I always succeed? Probably not. Do I notice a big difference? Not really. A lot depends on how small the patches in the block are and how tightly the quilting is too.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

if it really bothers you, just wash it, but I agree with MadQuilter.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    No, you don't have to, especially if you do a moderate amount of quilting. Quilting holds the layers together as one, and batting takes control of that one resulting layer. Fabrics will shrink in different amounts when washed individually; they shrink differently once quilted. Plus most fabrics today don't shrink as much as in yesteryear.

Blog Entries
    I agree with every one. If I wash I do wash all fabric . But sometimes I put in a different piece and forget or forget to wash the back. Never noticed a difference.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I pre-wash to avoid bleeding problems mostly, but there are many reasons to pre-wash. I would do it.

I prewash all of my fabrics, so i never run across this.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I've mixed washed and unwashed in at least 10 scrap quilts so far. I haven't had a problem yet.

you will receive as many *opinions* on this as there are people...it is up to you- it will not make a huge difference in the long run what you decide to do- there are people who believe they have to pre-wash every single thing (even their batting) and there are those who pre-wash nothing---then there are those of us who pre-wash what we think needs it & don't worry about the rest---mixing both in a project...everyone makes successful beautiful quilts- regardless of which *school* they belong to. me, I pre-wash if I think it may bleed, if it smells funky or feels funky, or if it has a loose weave I am hoping to tighten up- other than that...pretty much every quilt I've ever made contains both washed & unwashed fabrics...one thing though---if I purchase *used* fabric from any source other than a regular store---yard sales, thrift stores, ebay, anywhere it has been in someone's home---even if it seems like it's been washed---I pre-wash it! you never know what you may bring in when it's come from a *private setting* if I purchase any fabric from anywhere like that it does not even go to my sewing room- or main part of house- it comes in from the garage & stops at the washer.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    I try to either use all washed or all non-washed fabric in a project. Do I always succeed? Probably not. Do I notice a big difference? Not really. A lot depends on how small the patches in the block are and how tightly the quilting is too.
    this is the same for me
    Nancy in western NY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast