Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If Only I Had Known. . . >

If Only I Had Known. . .

If Only I Had Known. . .

Old 01-04-2012, 09:29 PM

Default If Only I Had Known. . .

I was really proud of myself for constructing 2 rag quilts--one for each daughter. For one quilt I bought what Joanne's called quilter's flannel and the other one was categorized as flannel. Both were about $7 a yard. I snipped and washed the quilter's flannel and it came out beautifully. However after I washed quilt #2 (so that it would create a fringe) it looks awful. It is faded, piling on the material and it makes me sick to look at it since I spent so much time on it. I guess there are different types of flannel out there. Anyone have that experience or know of "good" flannel?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:44 PM

I don't know where you live but in Canada, according to quilters in my guild, if you want the higher quality of flannel, you should buy flannel, not flannelette, our labels here. I was shopping in the US in November and I only saw flannel there. I tried to buy the better quality going by feel. There should be a better way.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:29 AM

Gee, that sucks. Too late now. Guess you can make another.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 AM

Yup, Joannes' flannel is the worst for pilling!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 AM

I gave up on JoAnns flannel a while ago too many bad experiences, some with the higher priced. I love the cuddleness of flannel but too many dissappointments has me turning my back on this fabric.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:51 AM

Has anyone tried the "Cuddle Flannel" (think that is what it is called) from Hancock's. It has a different feel from the regular flannel. It is mostly done in baby/kids prints but they have some solids, too. I would think since it is mostly designed for kids, it would shed and pill less but don't know that for certain. I "think" I bought some but don't remember!! Isn't that horrible???

Edit to add: It may also be called "Snuggle Flannel"!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 AM

I have made some really nice quilts with the Quilters Flannel from Joanns. But I really LOVE the new flannels from Connecting Threads. FABULOUS - and even better after you wash it. AND there rate of shrinkage is MUCH lower than the others. I measured the first piece - original length was 2 yds and the width was 45. After washing the length was 1y35.5" and 44.5" wide. So to me that is almost NO shrinkage. I have used the leftover strips from the four CT flannels quilts for a dog quilt. THAT gets washed every week - whether it needs it or not - and it just gets more and more wonderful - soft and squishy. My girl is notorious for taking it off of their crib mattress in the back room and bringing it into my office. She even brings it into bed sometimes. And I really can't blame her.

As far as flannels, you really need to feel it and I usually purchase a 1/4 yd or so and wash it before I make a decision for a quilt. And I still do that even if I have used that brand/pattern before because there can be a huge difference between the fabric runs.