Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If this works- I'm hooked (or glued) >

If this works- I'm hooked (or glued)

If this works- I'm hooked (or glued)

Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by davis2se View Post
Wow!! I am an Elmer's glue convert for binding, but have never tried it for sandwiching a quilt. Do y'all dilute the Elmer's glue and then either squeeze it on (how close) or spray it on. I'm ready to try this, but still need a few answers....................
I dilute at least by half. It comes out easier that way.
I have used my queen bed to do this. Lay it all out and find the middle of back, batt, and top. Put a few big safety pins on that line. I lift the top layer so that about one quarter of the batt is showing and very quickly swish thin lines of glue on. (I've put it on the batt, and I've put it on the fabric. Both worked.) I run my finger over all the glue lines. Then I smooth that top layer down onto the glued portion (or the glued portion onto the batt). I have my iron plugged in near the bed, and press wherever I think there is glue. Move the sandwich to the next section and do that part. That's where the pins are needed. Spread it out again, lift that section and glue, finger spread, smooth that section down and iron. When all four sections of that layer are finished and ironed dry, turn the whole thing over and do the other side the same way. I can get a queen size quilt done in about an hour.
The last one I did in church on four of their big banquet table. That worked, too.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

You would be amazed. I tried it on a dog scrap quilt about 36"x36" and put a binder on with the glue. I did a grid on it and quilted opposite of the grid. Turned out really good. Didn't get a photo(:{) Glue comes out in the wash. You want to use Elmer's "Washable" Glue. Try it on a test fabric.
Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I guess I am just too old for these new tricks but I could NEVER imagine using Elmer's white glue on one of my quilts. SORRY !!!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I use a big old spatula to spread if need be.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:57 AM

I'm just now trying this too-just did a lap quilt and now I just need a new chair so I can quilt it. I hope it works! I felt most comfortable holding the tip of the glue on the batting and then just slightly squeezing and moving it in the zig zag pattern. I didn't feel like I had enough control holding it above. I just have to wipe the batting residue off the tip every few rows. I ordered some tips but honestly don't know if I'll need them-I didn't have any trouble using the tip that was already on the glue bottle.

I would like to find some colored school glue though. The white was impossible to see on the batting so it was hard to see how much I had applied.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:36 AM

I just used glue basting for the first time on a mini quilt and I loved it.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchwife View Post
I start by drizzling it on about the top 1/4 of the batting. I hold the glue bottle about 2 feet above the batting and move quickly across the fabric first in one direction, then perpendicular to the first. If there are any glue clumps, not thin lines, I spread them out with my finger. I then place the backing on the glue and rub the fabric to make it flat. Once I'm convinced the fabric is flat, I'll run a dry hot iron over the fabric starting in the center and working out to the edges to set the glue. I set the glue because as I move the fabric around, I don't want anything slipping. I then continue to glue down the backing. I repeat the process for the top the same way. When I'm finished, the quilt is securely sandwiched together and I can start hand quilting it.
Thank you so much! Just what i needed to know. I have been making tops since my hubby passed away to give me something worthwhile to do. But was stumped as to how to make the quilt sandwich. I have about 7 or 8 tops just waiting to be quilted. They are all about throw size to lap size, (approx. 50-60"wide and 60-65" long), for giving to family members.

Quilting is good therapy. When my mother passed, I started making Quillows (remember those?) and I made 21 of those before I stopped.
PS...I have always basted with needle and thread in the past, so now you all make glue basting seem to be the way to go. Thanks again!

Last edited by GrammieJan; 04-02-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:00 PM

I bought the glue but haven't tried it yet. I'm going to give it a go now. This will be so much cheaper than the fusible I've been buying.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

I haven't done this yet, I think i'll try it soon. have a few quilts that need basting. have a big roll of batting in the backseat of my car waiting to finish things.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:35 PM

I use Elmers also and I don't have to have my DH help so much. It is much better and I use it for the binding also.