Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Removing glued items on quilt

Blog Entries

Removing glued items on quilt

Is there a technique for removing glued items on a quilt? I haven't appliqued yet, just glued down some of the pieces.

What sort of glue?
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    Both quilts and husbands help keep you warm,
    but quilts never grumble when you buy more fabric.

Blog Entries
    Fabric glue that dries clear.

Blog Entries

Removing fabric glue

Is it even possible to remove fabric glue? Would washing an item in hot water work??

Check the label and see what it says about removing it. Whatever you do, you may want to try it out on some scrap fabrics glued together first.

Blog Entries
    Does it say "permanent"? It would help if you could tell us the brand name. Also, of you can - google - "how to remove (the name) glue?" or see if there is an "address" on the container to send a message to them!
    Good luck!!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    There are 2 kinds of fabric glue, one that is easily removed by washing, and one that is permanent and won't wash out at all. Hopefully you used the first kind.

Blog Entries
    Thank you.I'll check it out.

Blog Entries
    Most glues are PVA which means they are water based. Soaking with water (putting a wet cloth on both sides of glued area) should moisten it enough to take it off. A drop of dish soap will hurry up the process. I have the reverse problem when building my terrain because when I use water based paints too heavily it will re-wet my glue and loosen it!

Blog Entries
    Would you recommend submerging the entire quilt in cold water to soak overnight? There are several areas with glued itams to be removed.

Blog Entries
    Is it actually quilted? If not, I would not submerge. I would spritz the areas with water and let them sit, then gently pull off the glued items. If it's water-based glue, this should work. If it doesn't work, you might consider whether to use something stronger, such as Goo Gone, Goof Off, acetone, or alcohol, or maybe reconsider pulling the appliques off at all.

Blog Entries
    If it is a washable glue can you just peel the pieces off and re-glue where you want them? I use Roxannes glue baste if all the time , also ELmers school glue sticks. Any marks it leaves come out when I wash it when it i finished.

I once put a Laura Heine creation with Fabric Fuse Glue on a background that was in her kit. I believe the Fabric Fuse is suppose to be permanent. I decided I just couldn't live with the background and was ready to trim around the applique and put it on another background. Well, I tried to gently tug the applique off and it worked! The background still had glue on it where the applique was.
    ( `v )
    `.. ♥
    ..) .*) Sheri in Texas
    (. (. .
    a stitch in time saves nine.....

Blog Entries
    I was able to remove the bears from my quilt very easily. The minute the quilt was submerged in cold water, they literally fell off! So now I can start over usiing Batik!

Blog Entries
    Had used Aleene's Original Tacky glue, which is water soluble & excellent on fabric. Dries clear.