Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you quilt your own >

If you quilt your own

If you quilt your own

Old 07-31-2011, 11:09 AM

I'm interested in getting a better machine and doing my own quilting. I can't afford a long arm, unfortunately.

What machine would you recommend for home quilting that's under $1000.00

Thanks! (I'm new, if this isn't the right place to post this, pls let me know)

Pat
Old 07-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

if your machine works well- nice even stitches there is no reason to get a different one- many many fabulous famous quilters create their master pieces on their domestic machine- some with very little room to spread out in-
as long as the machine is in good working order- and you are happy with it---
switching machines will not change the learning curve- or the amount of practice you have to do.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:22 AM

Love my BabyLock Quest Plus. I paid $1300, but it's been replaced by the Serenade, so the price is going down. Last one I saw was $999. While you can machine quilt on any good, properly functioning domestic sewing machine, a big harp helps.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:53 PM

Buy a vintage Singer 15, for around $50 or so, drop yr feed dogs and have fun! Easy peasy!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
Buy a vintage Singer 15, for around $50 or so, drop yr feed dogs and have fun! Easy peasy!
So u do not have to buy expensive machines to do FMQ?? I have a beautiful Singer and love it but have not tried FMQ yet with it. It has 120 stitches too.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:44 PM

I hope you get good answers! I have the same need.
And mine is skipping stitches and refusing to zig-zag properly
Old 07-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

I would look for a machine with the largest harp you can find. Look at the height as well as the measurement to the right of the needle. the machine should either have a built in even feed, or an even feed foot (walking foot) made by the manufacturer. If you want to FMQ, you will also want a darning foot and the ability to drop your feed dogs.
After that you need to decide if you need any decorative stitches. You at least need a zig zag to piece batting.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Quilted Dogs
Originally Posted by deedum
So u do not have to buy expensive machines to do FMQ?? I have a beautiful Singer and love it but have not tried FMQ yet with it. It has 120 stitches too.
I would certainly try yr Singer before buying an expensive machine. Even if the feed dogs don't drop on them, you can cover them. My theory is the older machines are so much more heavier than the newer ones and is a dream to FM with. I have both old and new machines that I have FM with. I just always go to my old singer to do my FM with these days. I do use a bobbin washer as I find that helps a bunch! Give it a try!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-234743.jpe  
Old 08-01-2011, 05:15 AM

I just heard that the Janome 1600 is down to $700 at my local sewing machine shop. It is a straight-stitch with large harp. But I'm not looking at it until I can FMQ something on my DSM good enough to post!

Try a search - I asked a similar question last month and go a lot of good suggestions
Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES
I'm interested in getting a better machine and doing my own quilting. I can't afford a long arm, unfortunately.

What machine would you recommend for home quilting that's under $1000.00

Thanks! (I'm new, if this isn't the right place to post this, pls let me know)

Pat
I went to a Janome dealer and bought a machine that someone had used as a trade in. It was used but refurbished and the dealer gave me a 1 year warranty on the machine, parts and labor. It only cost me $500 used but originally it was $1,500. It works great and quilts great. I couldn't be more pleased.